parking brake light

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by fullcm, May 8, 2019.

1. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Yesterday for the second time, I drove my car forgetting that had the parking brake engaged. In 74 there was not a switch to give indication that the brake is engaged. Has anyone else tried adapting the switch from a newer model to the earlier models? Seems like all I need to do is have some type of switch to sense when the parking brake lever is pulled out and wire it to the brake lamp on the instrument panel.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I think we've all done same BUT truth is, if the car doesn't struggle to move, brake really isn't set properly. If it can't be set that snugly, there is problem with barking brake.

As far as adding brake light, a switch, bulb and a bit of wire is about that is needed. Finding the correct switch may be a problem.

3. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    good point, if I adjust it tighter to resist moving that would be my warning. Last time I drove all the way home from work and finally realized it was on when I saw the white smoke coming from the rims.