Pics of wheel wells

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Phil, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Phil

Phil Member

Vehicle:
    1975 For Maverick
    i'm rebuilding the inner and outer wheel wells on my maverick, there isn't enough left for me to see how the outer lower wheel well attaches to the inner. Does anyone have pictures of how they look, and are attached? Trying to make it as close to stock looking as I can. Thanks in advance

-Phil

2. NCFatBoy

NCFatBoy Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    Front?

3. Phil

Phil Member

Vehicle:
    1975 For Maverick
    Sorry I should have specified, the rear

4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I think I read hear that early Mustang repop pieces are fairly close if you need brand new metal. A search may turn this info up.

I looked and the only wheelwell pics I have are stuffed full of tire. Not much to look at ...lol.

5. Phil

Phil Member

Vehicle:
    1975 For Maverick
    I have a section of outer wheel well that came with the factory quarter panels I bought, so I wa going to build off them with new metal. Thanks for looking, I'm sure someone must have pictures from when they were restoring their maverick/comet.

6. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
  7. Phil

Phil Member

Vehicle:
    1975 For Maverick
    Thanks Crusin Illusion! That helps a lot, it's nice to see solid metal on a maverick in those areas! (y)

8. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    3rd picture down.. you missed a spot. Do you see it yet.. or do I need to get MS paint fired up? haha

I hope you decide to build another Maverick not too long after this one gets parked in your Dad's garage. You know.. when you start to feel the old "project emptiness" creep in because that ones done and flown the coop. I sure do like seeing your builds and I must admit that it's mainly because of all the pictures. Would love to race your Dad driving it too. LOL

This car will get some ink time fo' sho'.

9. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    The car should be done by June. I will be honest with you that this will probably be the last car I build. I am so tired of the crap dealing with vendors and the time frame it takes for the few things that had to be outsourced that I am pretty much done with the whole car building experience. I have shown cars since I was 16 and this is by far the biggest build I have done and I can't wait for it to be finished.

I am wondering if I even want to pursue the whole magazine deal. The car is way farther along than the pictures I have posted but I have given up on posting updates due to the politics and bickering that goes on. I am also not wanting a carbon copy of my car around every corner.

Shorty and 71Mavrk like this.
  10. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I hear you loud and clear here bud. Everyone gets fizzled out eventually. And the more you're spending.. the more leeches come out of the weeds to get their fill. I'm old enough to know by now that time heals and nostalgia eventually sets in to help paint things in a different light further on down the road. I'm betting that once it's delivered and some time has passed by you will lose a bit of spite and regain some original love for the car. After all, creating and sharing it was why it came into existence in the first place, right?

As for the ink time and the hassles involved with all that. Along the same lines as above. Sharing it with others and getting enjoyment from your dad's participation in the whole deal is a dream come true for some car guys. Most aren't nearly that fortunate to achieve such large goals as this. Hopefully that joy settles in for all involved in the not too distant future.

PS. I understand the logistics behind keeping a car reveal on the down low but I say screw the bickering butts.. even if I may be one of them at times.. keep the pictures coming for those of us who are still dreaming and designing! The more the better. Or just send them all to Greg @....... :cheers2:

Shorty and Phil like this.
  11. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    Illusion,
    I feel your pain. The Maverick was my second rotisserie restoration. Worse experience than the Jag I did. Painters screwed me both in time and quality. I had to tell them what to do and they still screwed it up. I had to replace the entire roof because of them. Engine guy forgot the baffle in the intake. I had to pull the motor again and tear it apart before we figured it out. EFI tuner screwed me. I have to re-chip and re-dyno. They cost me thousands, my personal time and I didn't get what I wanted. I still cringe when I look at the flaws. I have another Maverich and dad's 63 Impala convertible sitting there but I don't have the energy to do them. They took the fun out of it.

I also understand dealing with the posting of your build. That was why I did the Showcase post. I didn't have the desire to deal with the car and issues at the same time.

Keep it up. The car looks great. I wish I had your painter. Your Dad will love the car.

Sorry to get off topic.

Micah

12. Alex1972

Alex1972 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
  13. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Nobody makes the outer quarter. I would say very hard, if not impossible, to find them used....let alone NOS. Takes a lot of work to remove a used set. Best to probably patch what you have. Post up pictures in a new thread and show us what you are working on.

14. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Sure about that Craig? Not looking to debate you on the matter considering you've probably forgot more about these cars than I'll ever know but it appears that Sherman Parts makes repro's? Shipping won't be cheap, probably at least 100 bucks. But unless you find a nice solid piece locally(good luck) you're likely into some amount of shipping or drive time and hassles to pick it up anyways.

http://autokrafters.com/c-889-quarter-panel_ford-maverick-1974.aspx

15. Alex1972

Alex1972 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    Quarter panel not a problem. It is expensive ($370-450) but available. I asked about wheelhouse or wheelwell. Mine is rusted on the outer age along with quarter panel. I am DIY person and cannot fabricate patch myself. It would be nice to find prefabricated or something very closer to original so I can modify it. 67-68 mustang convertible have similar loot but it hard to tell from the picture. I wander if someone was able to substitute it with something else

Thank you