pinto front suspension

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Rudy1971, May 23, 2024.

1. Rudy1971

Rudy1971 Member

Vehicle:
    comet
    any of you used a front rack and a arms from a pinto,wondering if the with is the same as the maverick?

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Takes more than just the "rack". The entire front suspension needs to be changed, which requires removing the shock towers, modifying the frame, etc.

3. Rudy1971

Rudy1971 Member

Vehicle:
    comet
    Yes , I have the whole front clip from a Pinto,was wondering if the subframe is the same width or does the Pinto subframe need to be split and lengthen to fit mavericks frame and when you do this change what about the supports that come from firewall to the shock towers for support?

4. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    The shock towers and cowl supports go away when using a Pinto-style suspension. The shocks go between the lower control arm and the Pinto crossmember that you have to weld in.

5. Rudy1971

Rudy1971 Member

Vehicle:
    comet
    Yes I know just seems like it would still need the supports from the firewall somehow, but I guess the inner fenders supports are strong enough and tie everything together

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Whether it's strong enough has been debated for a long time. Some suspension pros feel that the "frame rails" aren't strong enough to support the load by themselves the way Ford designers intended by tying into the cowl. Some folks reinforce the rails and add supports up the cowl. I dunno, back in the early 80's I had a Pinto with a healthy 289, TopLoader 4-speed, 8" rear & huge tires. Beat the he!! out of that car and never hurt it.

7. Tannersg1

Tannersg1 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Anything will fit if u cut enough out. You should probably measure the width of your Maverick frame rails to see if it's the same as the Pinto clip.