POLL: engine bay sprayed body color or black?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by jeremy, Jun 3, 2006.

?

What color should I paint my engine compt?

1. spray it grabber blue

69 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Spray it black

72 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    67-68 cougar was black engine comp. also.
    i couldnt decide really either. sorry

2. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Remember, not all Mav/Comet engine bays were body color from the factory either. My '71 has the factory black engine compartment. I prefer the contrast of the black so that's what I voted for, but it's your car so ultimately don't let us tell you what to do. :)

3. 69 ina 1/2

69 ina 1/2 Fox body nut!!!

Vehicle:
    691/2 maverick (sold to Mad Goon), 89 mustang coupe, 89 mustang GT, Gas-guzzlin' 05 Ford f150
    Personally, I like body color. Then you could paint the block black (hence, your black and chrome theme). I would ask the painter if there is a difference in price. I'm betting that body color would be cheaper:huh: , but then again...more paint.

BTW, My engine bay was black from the factory as well. Was this changed by ford year by year? I've seen other Mavericks with seemingly factory body color in the engine bay as well. Grabbers only maybe?

4. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    in the cougars it was car by car. i personally think it was like the vinyl top. someone does a bad lead job, throw one on. someone dings the engine bay dropping the motor in, just spray it black. just a hunch.

5. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I would say the engine bay was painted before the engine install, only makes sense to me.:huh:

6. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    This has been a long time debate. 1970's were definitely painted black. It was switched to body color sometime in the 1971 model year. There are folks that claim they have black engine compartments in the Mavericks's past 1971 ... so there lies the mystery. The assembly line engineering book I have clearly indicates that the engine compartment was to be painted black .. however, the revision date of this page is July 6, 1970 ...

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I'm one of those mystery guys .... 1972 Dearborn Car and it was definately factory black.

8. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    All of my cars are body color except the '69 I'm working on getting.

9. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I stand corrected in stating that "all" older Fords were painted body-color. I guess it was more of a Chrysler thing. I have personally never seen a Maverick that had a black engine compartment from the factory, unless the car itself was black. In any case, it's a matter of what looks good to you, so there's really no right or wrong answer to your question of what color you should paint it.

10. Derek 5oComet

Derek 5oComet Tire burner

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet ,5.0L,5spd,9",3.89 trac lock, 12.40@110, 1967 Mercury Cougar 390 stick,1985 Mercury Capri 5.0,5 speed,1979 F150 4x4 460,1992 F150 Flareside,99 F250 SuperDuty V10
    My 72 Comet was body color as is the 73 Mav parts car,i personally like body colr engine bays it just looke like you took that extra step when you built the car.P.S my dads 67 Cougar has a black engine bay and the car is all original including the exterior paint.Derek.

11. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Well, I just spent a healthy sum on a paint and bodywork. The previous owner had taken the front end apart and removed the engine, etc. He painted the engine compartment flat black. I left it that way. It was good paint and I did not feel like taking everything out ot the engine bay to paint it body color. I wasn't worth it. This '77 big bumper Mav is going to attract enough attention without the engine bay being painted bidy color.

To interject a totally personal opinion, unless you have a Grabber, Sprint, or Stallion, there is absolutely no economic value enchancement in restoring a Maverick to factory original condition. Other than the body style, lines, and looks, Mavs were simple, no frills cars. If you don't have a Grabber, Sprint, or Stallion, your Mav will be more valuable with good upgrades and custom changes.

I just had a question pop in my head. Why do we consider what to paint the engine bay, but not the trunk? If the engine bay is going to be painted body color, shouldn't the trunk be the sane color?:hmmm:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  12. Derek 5oComet

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet ,5.0L,5spd,9",3.89 trac lock, 12.40@110, 1967 Mercury Cougar 390 stick,1985 Mercury Capri 5.0,5 speed,1979 F150 4x4 460,1992 F150 Flareside,99 F250 SuperDuty V10
    Here's a pic of my engine bay,and yes my trunk area is painted to match,as is the roll cage,and floor pans.

13. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Mine will be black, simply because like Hawko, someone has already painted it black over the original body color, which is tan metalic. It will be a lot easier to scuff whats on it and respray with black again instead of having to pull all the wiring and masking off the hoses,and other things. I'd say, if the motor was out, and you planned on removing the wiring and stuff, go ahead with the body color if thats what you like, but I'd rather have a darker engine compartment to hide stains with the engine being the main focus when you raise the hood. Mine will have a aluminum intake, chrome valve covers and oil pan, and a chrome breather to get your attention! :29:

14. Derek 5oComet

Vehicle:
    Thats funny i'm going the other way,i just pulled the intake off today and painted it ford engine blue because i thought it stood out too much in the raw aluminum,and i have an aluminum air breather that i'm painting semi gloss black to match the valve covers.I'm just trying to be a little different,the whole car has kind of a 70's feel to it,sun super tach,stewart warner gauges,steel wheels,etc....not knocking any body else here,jus tryin to be me lol.Derek.

15. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Looks awesome Derek (y)