power steering pump

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by wolfheads, Feb 26, 2020.

1. wolfheads

wolfheads MadMav

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick / 2000 Harley Low Rider
    Where can I purchase a power steering pump for my 73 maverick 302? Also, I know I can buy one without the reservoir but not sure how difficult it is to put together or who could do that.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I'd think Rockauto would have it, I bought two less reservoir last fall for my Fairlane & Cobra.

The reservoir repl is easy, are videos on youtube showing process. Lot more work swapping pulley vs can.

wolfheads likes this.
  3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    If you have your old pump, send it to Rode's Restoration in Galion, Ohio and they will rebuild it.

TeeEl and wolfheads like this.
  4. wolfheads

wolfheads MadMav

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick / 2000 Harley Low Rider
    My pump is leaking at the front seal, would replacing the pump using my reservoir solve this issue?

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Yep, the reservoir just sets in place, it's sealed by a O ring & held on pump by a thin nut threaded onto the pressure port.

Easiest way is to remove, is thread a long bolt(4-5 in) into shaft and let it hang on a angle from vise. With block of wood & hammer, lightly tap the edge of can working from one side to other, it'll slid off. Clean up and paint can. To install, set pump face down on blocks(must not be on shaft), lube O ring and tap in place using rubber mallet. Install nut.

BE SURE reservoir is aligned correctly, though won't be a problem on the late pumps.

Biggest fufu I've found is around '72 the pressure port design & location was altered, early pumps won't fit late cans and vice versa. The grey can is likely what's on your car now, it's from my '72 Comet.

Pspumpreservoir 023.JPG

6. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 C4 3.55 Tractionlok Granada disc brake conversion Small front bumper
    You can rent a puller kit from your local parts store to remove your pulley. I used one from Advance. Worked fine. Be sure to use the supplied bolt to attach pulley to the new pump. Driving it on with a hammer could cause damage.