Power steering question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by HadaGrabberonce, Jul 10, 2018.

1. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 C4 3.55 Tractionlok Granada disc brake conversion Small front bumper
    I am replacing the power steering hoses. Has anyone tried teeing the pressure line and return line together to reduce the pressure? I have read about street rodders doing this with GM pumps and Mustang 11 steering racks. Will the reduced pressure cause the pump to squeal or possibly damage it? I would have the tee installed by a hydraulic line shop. Current steering is not too bad but would like it a little less sensitive without changing the steering box or eliminating the p/s.

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    this is not really power steering...it's power assist. I would think what you are suggesting would not work...JMO

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    WHO really cares?? Does it make any difference?
    It's the P/S system Ford used from the '50s up till the 1980 Granada. Corvette used it thru 1982.

Yes, I've seen articles on adding a bypass from pressure to return line that increases effort, with adjustable valve can finetune the system.

4. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 C4 3.55 Tractionlok Granada disc brake conversion Small front bumper
    I may try it just to see what happens. I could always change it back if it does not work.

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    All that's necessary is to allow a small amount fluid from pressure line to bypass over to return. Problem is knowing amount of bypass required.

I believe it was Hot Rod that did a install using a high pressure valve they could be adj for best feel . With valve closed, system would be normal, opening gives bypass.

BTW it isn't type of system that gives "feel". Chrysler and to some degree GM was blasted for years about having "numb" steering in their full time systems. Actually easier steering than Ford.

6. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    If your steering is that sensitive, it may be your alignment and/or suspension, steering components.

7. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    If u are using GM Type I pump, better option may be use shims in pressure inlet. If using Ford pump the Tee may be your option.

8. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    Installed the new hoses without the tee. Installed new control valve as well. I had actually ordered a rebuilt Bendix unit but was sent a new Cardone (chinese) brand. It was an open box deal from Amazon so the price was right. Kept my Bendix unit just in case. For those considering replacing the hoses, you will actually need five hoses. There are two pressure hoses which connect next to the oil pan in addition to the return hose and the two small control valve to cylinder hoses. I used Gates (mexico) brand which seemed to be of good quality but the two small hoses were a little too short. I slightly straightened the metal ends until the threads caught and then they went on fine. As stated in other posts, removing the control valve from the pitman arm proved to be the hardest part of this project.

9. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    I did have a slight leak in the return hose where the rubber line was connected to the metal line with a crimp style clamp. The clamp was not crimped tight enough. Replacing the hoses and control valve did not change the feel of the steering much but it did fix the leaks so it was worth the effort.

10. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The generic cylinder hoses do not fit correctly(some gentle coaxing with a soft blow hammer helps), correct reproductions are available. Unlike the generic, original part numbers were different for the two hoses, one is approx ¼" longer than other.

11. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    Good info. I thought one was longer when I removed them but thought the rubber was just stretched. I had a slight leak in one when I installed it so I bought a Sunsong (China) one to try. It resembled the original ones more than the Gates brand. I was able to tighten the Gates enough to stop the leak so I did not use the Sunsong one. The bends were slightly different with the Sunsong compared to the Gates and it was slightly longer.

12. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70