Pre-Life Crisis, Part 2

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Maverick_Ian90, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    I bought my '75 Maverick in October of 2017 at the tender age of 27. I always wanted a classic car from the first time I laid eyes on one. Originally, I was in the Mustang camp and wanted the typical Eleanor 67 fastback like the "Gone in 60 Seconds." I also realized how much those go for and thought better about it. I also realized that I wanted something that wasn't too common, so I looked in Datsun Z cars. While I do like them, I knew parts were scarce and ridiculously overpriced. This led me back to Ford. I don't remember what steered (no pun intended) to the Maverick, but I like it. Fast forward about 2 years and she is slowly being disassembled. The picture below is the day it was delivered. IMG-0038.JPG

stumanchu likes this.
  2. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Below are some updated pictures. Unfortunately progress is slower than I would have like. But hey, that's life. My plan for the dash is to paint it black, but have the bull head in blue. All painting is done by rattle can.
    IMG-0319.JPG IMG-0894.JPG IMG-0895.JPG IMG-0899.JPG IMG-0900.JPG

stumanchu likes this.
  3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Looks like a great car to start with. Why the tear down rather than driving and enjoying it?

stumanchu likes this.
  4. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    A lot of electrical gremlins. And the dash had a gaping hole where someone haphazardly installed gauges. I did drive it around for a few weeks, but the motor has a head gasket leak somewhere.

5. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Wow....that dash is apart! good time to take the heater box apart and clean all the yard debri out of it and possibly a new heater core. If your cowl is good, take a little time to stick your hands up the hat holes and manually clean out as much as you can, than run a garden hose on low to roto-rooter the drains on each end with a piece of wire. I imagine you already did some form of this.....but I am gonna say it anyway. My hands looked like I was in a fight with my cat when I was done with mine. I scrubbed and picked at mine with whatever I could get in there, let it dry a few days, and used 4" weenie rollers on bent frames to apply POR 15 everywhere I could get to inside the cowl and around the hats. Messy and icky...wear gloves and cover the floor!

6. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    That sounds like a statement from a fellow basket case purchaser!:p

RMiller likes this.
  7. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    It actually didn't come with a heater box, but I will try to remove some debris for the fresh air. Since the Northeast really only has a few GOOD months of driving weather, I didn't plan on putting one in.