Primers

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by blugene, Jul 9, 2009.

1. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    That's been my experience. I black primer bombed my entire car like 18 years ago and it would stay wet looking for a while when it rained. I figured that ment it would keep the water (moisture) on the surface longer so I regreted it. It was a head turner tho. Now it looks gray and i'm having to work extra to remove it.
    Should I or do I really have to sand down to metal? My origional paint is under the primer I had done and it's not flaky or anything. There are places I do need to go to metal, but sanding all the paint is going to be quite a chore. I'll do it IF I have to but if I can get away with it, why not? It's not a show car... (resist Ray, resist)

2. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I thought newer epoxy primers do the same thing as etching primers.

Also, why not give the company a call (whichever one you pick) and ask them how long you can wait before top coating?

Or....you could always put a light coat of filler primer. Most of that would get sanded off anyway before you topcoat.

Obviously make sure any primer you gonna use is gonna work with the top coat you eventually pick.

3. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    This is actualy what I am most concerned about. I ment to call the company I have decided I will try (in the link) today, but got distracted when I realized today was the last day to pay a parking ticket I had gotten.

4. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

It used to be that way, not anymore.

Epoxy primers have replaced them and are designed to be sprayed directly on metal. If you are only using a urethane primer then you can still use an etching primer.

Dont worry about applying basecoat over that primer. Basecoats work just fine over any 2K primer. The same thing holds true for basecoats and clearcoats. Its fairly common for people to use omni or nasson basecoats and still use a high end clears like dupont, ppg, sikkens, or glasurit over them.

5. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    hey any word from the company? I'm curious to know if they have any recommendations. I'm gonna guess that they'll say to top coat it asap.

6. mothgrey

mothgrey Member

Vehicle:
    76 Maverick
    I use DP90

7. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    I don't really care for omni or nason. I've used both and had sub-par results. For something as expensive and time consuming as paint and body work. I prefer to spend the extra cash and make sure it's good quality to start with.

Remember epoxy primer is used more for etching not as a high build primer for filling imperfections and blocking, that's what urethane primers are for. If you have ever tried to sand epoxy primer after it has cured you'll know what I'm talking about!
    1. Epoxy primer
    2. Urethane primer
    3. Sealer
    4. Topcoat
    5. Clearcoat

8. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Just got off the phone with them. They said this is the order to do it in. Thanks for replying.