Project "Therapy Sessions" 1972 Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by car-nut, Jul 25, 2010.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    Pure artwork!

2. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Again, thank you for the compliments. With this thread that has been my goal, to inspire. Whether it be a fellow Maverick fan, or some other person at a car show, I just hope everyone looks at the car and thinks "wow, I never thought a Maverick could look so cool". Ultimately, that is my goal. Well, that and to drive the freakin wheels off of it.

When I said I was an amateur, all I meant was that compared to Chip Foose I am one. He completely designs, fabricates and builds million dollar uber hot rods. Yes I work as a certified instructor for the PPG paint company. Yes I have spent my entire adult life in the collision and resto field. And yes I have been extremely lucky to get the press and have had 12 different national magazine full color features on cars I have built or painted. But I still feel compared to the likes of Chip, Charley Hutton and so many more "pro" builders, I'm just some chump building a Maverick in my back yard garage. I am a humble person and have no ego, and I like it like that.

I am pretty sure they will be fine. The pads and rotors are what get 90% of the heat, the calipers do see higher than normal temps, but I am expecting them to be fine. Worst case is I am not happy and have them powder coated if there becomes an issue.

See above comment.

Thank you!

Backtooldschool and mojo like this.
  3. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    So its a freezing cold 20 degrees outside, and the heater in my shop isn't working. Made for a chilly day working on the car, but, I have to push through if I want to ever drive this thing.

Today I pulled all the front suspension back out of the car. When I installed it, I did so loosely and with out any grease or anti seize. I wanted to rip it back apart, make sure everything was lubed up properly, and put back together correctly this time around. I had done all that originally just to make the car a roller, but now as we are in final assembly mode, it was time to get it all set.

In doing so, I got the brakes installed for the last time. This is a set of 13" drilled and slotted rotors, and the calipers I smoothed and painted. I am LOVING the look!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed the dash for the final time. The gauge cluster will come back out for wiring though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAn't tell you how much I like this look. It was soooooo worth the effort!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course a parting shot of the rear, with the license plate installed.

[​IMG]

4. Miguel Arzola

Miguel Arzola Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick Grabber
    Nice work ,that's the only way try to be the best .on the work that you hands can handle.remember there's no limits when you try to accomplish something, ...Ps like those mirrors..good hardwork.

5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Wiring feels like such a daunting task when you're at that stage! Reminds me of a friends car I wired, I drove 2 1/2 hours to help over the weekend, he said he "ran the wires" but they were all hanging out the side of the car looking a lot like yours in these pictures. To him, hanging the fuse panel was the same as running the wires!:slap:

When he first showed them I couldn't see them working at all but once they were mounted I was sold on them. They compliment the car in a way I just couldn't see before.

6. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

Wiring can be tough. I am not taking this on alone, I have a good friend that has wired over 100 hot rods. He is leading the way, I'm just following along and helping. I want to be part of it, but also want it done neatly snd correctly the first time.

Thanks about the mirrors. I got some push back on them at first from many people. But once I got them fitted and mounted I think most came around and could see my vision of them.

7. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I'm a little twisted, I enjoy wiring a car!:coco:

8. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    So there is a blizzard going on outside, and the CT Governor as issued a travel ban. So whats a guy to do? Walk out to the garage, turn the heat up and get to work!

Today was spent doing more mechanical assembly stuff. New valve covers are now installed. Matching air cleaner is stuck in transport, I will paint it over the weekend and install next week. Spark plug wires made and routed nice and neat. I made the transmission cooler lines and installed them. Also, because the electric fan was going to hit the snout of the water pump pulley, I had a friend bend me up a new one and offset the fan. Not optimal, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miguel Arzola and JoeB like this.
  9. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Been busy lately doing things that don't add up to much for an update. That and a weeks worth of travel for work make it difficult to get things done. So here is the latest with many mini updates in one.

I finally got the rear brakes installed and the cables run for the e brake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the E brake and the battery.
    [​IMG]

Tank installed and all fuel lines hooked up. Just need to install the tank level float.
    [​IMG]

After getting the new front seat foams out of the box, my upholsterer and I were talking about how cool it would be to get another set and make it look like it has four bucket seats. So, of course I ordered another set right away. Here is a quick mock up of them in place.
    [​IMG]

And here is the teaser of the front seat bottom. Black vinyl and b/w Houndstooth.

[​IMG]

Today I got the drivers door sanded and buffed, then hung in place. I love this reflection and definition of image.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also installed the Ring Brothers door handles and the door lock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, I had to finally make a upper radiator hose. when I installed the March Performance serp kit it made the stock V8 hose not work. I have tried in vain to find something that would work, but no luck. So, with the aid of some pieces I was able to tack all these individual steel tubing together. I will bring it to a friend and have it all tig welded, then smooth it out. Not sure if I will paint it or have it coated when done.

It came out nice, and I am happy with it. But I really just wanted a simple black rubber hose. It seems like nothing on this car has gone that way, not sure why I expected this hose to be any different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JoeB likes this.
  10. cool70mav

cool70mav Member

Vehicle:
    had 1969.5, 1974 Maverick 2008 Shelby Gt Mustang 71 Lime Green Grabber
    Thank you so much for sharing this build with us. It has been an enjoyment and also inspiring watching you do your Magic. I bet you and your daughter can't wait to dive this beautiful Maverick

11. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I couldn't begin to put into words how excited we both are. I have built many hot rods over the years, but I have never gone to quite this level. Not sure why this one is any different. But for some reason everything I do on this is one step further than I might have on any other car. It's been crazy.

12. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I don't like it. Way too much blue.

LOL.. I couldn't even keep a straight face sitting by myself in front of the computer when I wrote that! Awesome car. :thumbs2:

13. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Awesome, and way cooler than The one Sung Kang built.

Why did you go with 4-leaf rear springs?

14. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    When I started this build, it was going to be a $5000 repaint and new engine. That was sooooooo long ago. As the build progressed I went off the rails clearly. When I contacted Espo Spring and ailed with the owner, she suggested the four leaf over the three. I don't exactly remember the reasoning, but I bought into it. These were also custom made and supposed to be a 2" drop set of springs. I have to say I am very disappointed in them. As of right now I am running a 2" block to get the car to sit where it is! I keep hoping that as I add more weight to the car it will settle and sit where I want it without the blocks. But so far no luck.

I wish I had installed a 4 link, or something like it way back when.

Lol.......

Backtooldschool likes this.
  15. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I have the same issue with our Firebird, new springs (not ESPO) and it looks like a lifted four wheel drive. No recourse now that they are in and have been driven on. Sad part is they knew their springs sat high but do they mention that? Hell no!