quick steering

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by nostalgiaBill, Feb 25, 2014.

1. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Thank you Mike.

As Mike stated these are not power steering boxes, they are power assisted steering with a closer ratio box. And yes, I did mine already. Borgeson (spell) does sell a power steering box with hydraulic lines going to it and then I would think you would still need the manual steering center link at least, but I'm not sure since I haven't done this set up before.

I do not see how using mustang anything other than a different steering box can change the speed of your steering? You are still going to shorten the tie rods to make up the difference in the length of the "drag link", How does this change steering ratio? Am I missing something? The only other way I can picture a change is if you could shorten the tie rod mounting point on the spindle, make it closer to the pivoting center. Tie rod and center link length does not change ratio but it can effect bump steer both good and bad. The shorter the tie rods the worse the bump steer is going to be.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    The Mustang boxes mount differently(one hole is in a slightly different location) and are smaller than Mav/Comet... Our sectors are same as used on Fairlane, Torino, Falcon and Mercury intermediates from '67-ish to '71... Intermediates & Falcon for 1966 & some '67 used the long steering shaft(like 39" if I remember correctly) with out a coupler, steering wheel mounted directly on box shaft... My '67 Falcon used the long shaft sector...

3. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    The 65/66 Shelby Mustang had special pitman and idler arms that where longer for quicker steering, lock to lock was something like 3 turns. Unfortunately these arms will not work on our Mav/Comets, I think they still can be purchased through some Mustang shops.

Those 65/66 Mustang steering ratios where 21:1, adding the longer pitman/idler arms reduced ratio to 19:1, lock to lock when from 3 3/4 to 3 1/2 turns.......

I believe our Mav/Comet PS boxes are 16:1 ratio? and same 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 turns......
    seem to remember my 74 with PS could turn a tighter circle than my 65 Mustang with PS, also Mav/Comet wheel base is shorter than 65/65 Mustang.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    dyent, you need to go study this some more. Are you trying to say that by using a different idler and pitman arms on the same steering box it is going to change the ratio from 4.5 turns lock to lock to 3 turns? There is no way. Now they may have used special pitman and idler arms for something but I'm sure the steering box ratio is still what set lock to lock. I guess you could have a real long pitman arm and use the spindle hard stops for your lock to lock but I would have to see one to believe it.

5. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    I was quoting the info from my Shelby/American guide as to what was done on the 65/66 Shelby Mustangs to quicken their steering from 3 3/4 turns to 3 1/2 turns. While ratio of box itself stays the same, having longer arms would reduce the overall turning lock to lock, it is called leverage.......
    3 3/4 to 3 1/2 not what you said 4 1/2 to 3..........

6. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    OK so by using the longer pitman arm you're shortening L to L 1/4 turn. In a street driven car a 3 turn L to L is going to be tough steering at low speeds but fun at speed.

So the best we can actually do is the 16:1 with the manual setup, from easily accessible parts.

7. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Yes, that is what I did, removed my PS linkage and install manual center link/pitman arm (PS pitman arm is curved opposite of MS). I was brought up driving old 60's cars without any PS, so was not a big deal for me. Great for road courses but not so good when parallel parking :(

If you already have factory PS then you already have the lowest turn L to L, so this conversion would only benefit those who have factory MS. Changing MS box to PS box that is.........then you already have the correct center link/pitman arm!

While on the subject, what is the turning Lock to Lock on a factory MS Mav/Comet??

Been so long since I did my conversion, but if anyone is going to remove their PS linkage and install MS center link/pitman. Make note of turn L to L while you still have PS all hooked up and when you drop the linkage and install MS linkage, see if turn L to L is still the same.......in theory it should be?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  8. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I'm using my phone so I can't do the quote thing but what you did is what I've done and what I was suggesting the whole time if you read my first post in this thread. Convert to the PS box without the PS assist crap on there. So we agree, can I get a hug now.:Handshake

9. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    lol.. oops.. sorry Ward.. me had "Chevy steering" on the brain. Not getting any younger and there might have been a slight pre-senior moment mixed in there too.

Here's the kit. AFAIK.. the arm is still being produced and is available through several vendors.
    http://www.stangerssite.com/quicksteeringkit.html

10. Martinreed

Martinreed Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick
    Corvairs have very little weight on the front end and can just about get away with quick steering arms, a heavy V8 Maverick would probably need power steering or a yearly subscription to the gym ......I too have a corvair and am thinking of switching to quick steering , but not sure it would work on a front heavy car. Over here in the uk there are a few hot rodders who are adapting modern speed sensitive electric power assist to non power steering cars, Im told its a simple single wire connection, but not sure how its done

11. gregmaverick

gregmaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    I'm of no real help here, but I remember reading an article of employing a power steering box out of a Ford product (not a Mustang), and using the Pitman arm from the Maverick. It was a bolt-up (no extra work involved).
    One of those articles I was going to save, and then forgot where I read it. :slap: