Rack & Pinion Steering for our Mavericks/Comets?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by BaldEagleMav, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    just looked at that. looks like it will give you more turning radius but man thats a good chunk of change for that kit. if you dont mind, how much have you spent on the universal joints, steering rods, and other parts involved.

2. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I looked at just about all options and nothing really stuck out as worth the effort just to gain rack and pinion IMO.....

Now a complete suspension redo to gain better handling/stopping etc....then it makes sense....

I have one more thing I am gonna look at that would be uber cheap and a complete suspension swap if only it was a tad shorter.....but I am gonna try and talk to some fabricators to put something together....

3. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    Just added up what I have in it so far.... a used rack, another column(not really needed, but didnt want to destroy my colum in case this didnt work)and lower bearing, double u-joint and bearing support, I already had a lower u-joint, new tie rod assemblies...$340 and I am about done, (I think). The p/s lines came with the rack and they will be reused on my mav, so no cost there....the biggest cost is in the amount of time to get everything just so, but you cant charge for that I guess. I figure around 400 once it is done, well worth it if it drives as good as I expect it to. Plus these aftermarket companies get between $1000 to $2000 for a rack setup. I figure if I have the ability and the tools, why not try, and maybe others can benefit from it:) I dont care about the turning radius, that I can deal with

The bump steer kit I got off of ebay for 150, I thought that was still a bunch, but better than these other places.

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Still within reason, compared to the available aftermarket kits!
    Turning radius shouldn't be a big deal, my new E250, doesn't turn nearly as tight as my old GMC Savanna, but I deal with it.

5. 69GT

69GT Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber Maverick.
    $1400?! If a direct fit Maverick kit was only $1400 I'd buy it. I think the cheapest I found was $2600 so far. And that's RRS.

6. rickm

rickm Member

Crown Vic Man that Fairlane is NICE ! ! 65 was the stepchild of Fairlane's but yours is beautifuuullll. I always loved the lines of the car, even rarer than a Maverick. Just WOW

7. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan

Thanks, rickm!!!! Its appreciated!

8. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    Okay, I have finished the rack install on my mav and have driven it about 10 miles this morning. I have to say that this is a very nice car to drive now!!! Very responsive and precise, no more slop at all....you turn the wheel and the car turns. And it is very easy to steer, many guys on here prob wont like that, but I wanted to have a car that I could enjoy driving, rather than struggling with it to keep it centered in my lane. Also while I was at it I added an aftermarket brake booster and it takes much less effort to stop the car than before, very nice, I like it!! Guess for me, the many hours involved in this latest project were worth it. Pics shortly

9. rickm

rickm Member

Can't wait Also YOU DA MAN

10. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:

Ha Ha!!! LMAO!!!!

Pics....
    maverick_rack_004_original.jpg
    maverick_rack_012_original.jpg
    maverick_rack_013_original.jpg
    maverick_rack_003_original.jpg

11. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    73 four door, 74 starsky&hutch mav, a 93SHO, an 03 gt, and a 94 gt
    i like it! good job man! id like the fact that you fabbed the pieces needed to make it work . buying a kit would be nice but taking pride in your own design seems well worth the difference :thumbs2:

12. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    AWESOME!!:thumbs2:

13. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    do you have any bump steer with the inner tie rod joints beeing closer toghter than the factory centerlink has them?
    and how is the turning radius?

14. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    No bump steer, it drives nice!! The turning radius is almost the same, the only thing I have noticed is when turning left if you turn it all the way, the tire rubs just a bit on the end of the rack. I did a few u-turns this morning and it works great!

15. facelessnumber

facelessnumber Drew Pittman

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    That's some impressive bit of engineering you did there! I humbly beseech you for a tech article. :bowdown: