Rack & Pinion Steering for our Mavericks/Comets?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by BaldEagleMav, Sep 10, 2010.

1. David74maverick

David74maverick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 maverick, '87 Celica
    just out of curiosity does the weight of the donor car have any bearing on the strength of the R&P unit?

2. 7D2 Grabber

7D2 Grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT, 1967 F100 short bed, 2008 Z06
    Was there ever a tech article on this

3. jayss10

jayss10 This is Minerva

Vehicle:
    1971 MAVERICK,73 GRABER CLONE
    With that setup could you run a bbf and what headers do you run for sbf

4. MICHAEL DAVIS

MICHAEL DAVIS Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    So is what your saying is you dont want a front clip weld on, and you dont want to pay for something that has to be modify,ed to fit. Ive been serching for years and got nothing realy. Total control is al ive found that will maybe fit; not with out removing things and having them do the work! I dont have juck yards any more that have something older than 1990 or new,er..Ive got nothing!

5. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    I see this thread is LONG DEAD!
    Did 55ctownvic ever do a tech article on his Cavalier/Grand Am rack conversion???

I’m specifically looking for what year rack was used, any other info would just be icing on the cake.

Thanks

6. bomrat

bomrat Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 4dr 347 4r70w
    i used an 86 cavalier rack. i would also use the bumpsteer fix for mustangs.. which drops the control arm mounting down like an inch.

BBMS18 likes this.
  7. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Thank you, one more question.
    What power steering pump did you use?

8. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    Sorry for the late reply, have sold my maverick and dont get on here much any more, I will help out as much as i can, just ask or PM me.
    I originally used the stock ford pump that was on my 90 mustang 5.0 motor, but it whined so bad I couldnt hear anything but the pump, so I replaced it with a saginaw pump from a dodge ram pickup, they are pretty much the same as a chevy pickup uses, but I replaced the ram pulley with one from a chevy p/u because I used the serpentine belt(stock on the 5.0 ford), It worked so good, you couldnt tell it was running!! PLUS, the saginaw pumps are adjustable, there is a "flow" valve that the pressure hose bolts to, and I replaced the original Ram valve with one from a chevy cavalier, it has a smaller opening which means less flow going to the rack, second, the saginaw pump has a "pressure" valve(sitting inside the pump, accessable after removing the flow valve)and it is adjustable by adding shimms, which reduces the pressure to the rack, thus making the steering less sensitive. After selling my maverick, the guy wanted to know what could be done to tame the steering, so I did the mods described and the car is much more driver friendly and not as sensitive as it was. The steering had plenty of radius and turned great. I have the same cavalier rack on my 55 ford fairlane, my 63 fairlane wagon and my 65 fairlane, they all work great and have no leaks at all. IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_1103 (1).JPG IMG_1624.JPG

mojo, Hotrock and BBMS18 like this.