radio install...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Joe Dirt, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    Well got tunes now.Found a constant hot and a switch wire in the seat belt interlock plug.Just ran new wire to the speakers

the 6x9's fit in the shelf fine,I ended up useing 2 3.5" dual range speakers in the dash speaker hole fits great.

took all day but now i have music make those trips to work less lonely now lol

2. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    How does it sound?

I have basically the same setup in my 1965 Nova (2 3 1/2 rounds in the center dash & 2 6X9s in the rear package shelf) and it seems to need more speakers up front, but because it's 99% original I'm not cutting it up to add speakers.

-Scott H.

3. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    I put a set of 6x9's in mine and had to trim...its all on how much extra space there is between the outside edge and where the steel cone support begins

4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    very good Ive had this setup in my daily driver for 5-6 years always sounded awesome and very clean using a sony Xplod headunit also that was in my F150 but may pull the one out of my cavalier and swap them

these are what i have in the dash
    [​IMG]

and in the deck
    [​IMG]

5. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Those are nice. I believe u wud better sound reproduction "stero effect" w/ a bit of sepraration. I put 5.250's in the kickpanels. If I were to do it again I wud put something smaller; from an installion point of view. I was reluctant to cut my kickpanels. However I took my time a used a Rotozip along w/ a lot of measuring and Im pleased w/ the results.
    By the way: The 29 mpg is AWESOME most cars of this era can't match that kind of "MPG" performance. :thumbs2:

6. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Ford has used some odd sizes for rear speakers. I have 6x9s mounted under the rear deck and two of the bolt holes are redrilled further out. Same setup in my last Comet, too. The original rear speaker size was an odd 6x8, and this practice is still in use today ... the speakers in my Explorer are designated 5x7/6x8s when you buy aftermarket replacements.

Some folks have installed 6x9s out back, and the theory was thrown around here that later cars were revised for this size. I have only had a 71 and a 72 to mess around with.