Rattle canning it ... Grabber Hood ..

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by dmhines, Sep 23, 2005.

1. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    My color code is 6C .... I'd say abou 3+ cans on the hood ... hard to measure because I only used the first half or so of each can since it sprayed better. And that is putting it on thick enough so I can wet sand if I need to. The valance was probably less than a can ... that was like 4 coats or so ... I'm not sanding that.

I read someplace that Acrylic Enamal with no catalyst takes 6 months to fully cure. I've been leaving the car out in the sun and just the heat from the engine is baking it pretty good. I wouldn't even attempt to wet sand it for atleast a month.

2. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Rattle cans are great, I use em all the time. Nice job, Dan, that car has come a looooong way!

Sam :)

3. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Dan, your car is looking more familiar to me every day.

4. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Okay, mine is 6F "Gold Glow". So I believe it's just ever so slightly darker than yours, but a very similar color. I ordered 2 cans from them. Thanks for the info. I have always liked the "original" color of my car (not the current faded oxidized version) and look forward to the day when it is repainted. People always ask me what color I'm going to paint the car, and they can't believe it when I say "same color". They always say "why??!!" They say "why don't you paint it red or something?" Well, because I think the original Gold Glow is a wonderful color, that's why!...

5. Tylar Miles

Tylar Miles Try try try let it ride..

Vehicle:
    1993 Nissan Sentra
    That looks good for a rattle can job. (y)

I think we should :evilsmile

6. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg

What are you painting? Keep in mind this stuff stays tacky for a while since there is no hardener in it ...

I hung up the hood to paint in my garage since rattle cans work better when kept vertical. I put my vehicles at the end of my driveway so there was no chance of overspray and closed the garage door about 3/4 of the way down. I then put an electic fan by the hood blowing out the garage door to get rid of the fog and fumes. I painted it in the evening and immediately shut the garage door when done and left the lights off so there were no bugs flying around the garage while the paint set. No bugs in it as far as I can tell.

My valance I painted outside in the driveway and promptly moved into the garage and closed the door while it set. The valance did dry to the touch much faster since I didn't plan on sanding it so I didn't put as many coats on ..

Also ... once this stuff is set DO NOT TRY TO SPRAY ANOTHER COAT OR DO TOUCH UPS! I chipped a little bit of the corner during intallation of the hood and just sprayed a little bit to cover the chip. The paint promptly lifted and wrinkled ... luckily it's a very small spot in the corner and not noticable ...

Also ... it was Duplicolar primer that lifted a little on the scoops. The hood was done completely with Rustoleum Auto Primer. I did the front valance with Rustoleum auto primer. I primed it ... let it dry in the sun for about an hour ... then I wet sanded with 400 Grit ... let it dry again and then sprayed the Yellow ... came out nice and no lifting ..

Good luck ... Dan

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  7. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

you know....that enamel paint will fade rather quickly in the sun.... just to let you know...

it looks good..

8. Stavro

Stavro Transplanted New Yorican

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER ZRX1200r
    Actually, it can be touched up. It just has to be completely dry. It was still tacky and that's why it lifted. If you had waited like a week, it wouldn't have lifted.

Chicks dig Orange over mustard yellow 9-1(y)

9. lbell101

lbell101 New Member

Dan,

The previous poster is correct, the paint just wasn't completely cure. We use a dryer instead of an activator in the spray cans since it would harden in the can before you recieve it.
    Also, since it's actual auto paint it shouldn't fade real fast. The enamels we use are good for 2 to 5 years depending on care and environment which is about as good as enamel gets.

T.L.,

Your Gold Glow is a difficult color as it changes vastly in color from wet to dry. Please spray a little piece first to check for match. We checked agaist the original chips so it should be good. But if not we'll send a replacement.

Thanks guys!

Larry
    www.autopaintdirect.com

10. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Now thats what I call customer service. (y)

11. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Dan,

There are enamel and lacquer primers. If you mix em up they will cause wrinkles and paint lifting. Been there done that and felt really stupid after somebody educated me. :)

12. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Hey ... Thanks for checking in! I am guessing that T.L. gave you the info on this website becuase I know I didn't ....

I'm not really worried about it fading ... If I ain't driving the car it's in the garage ... so that should extend it's life expectancy dramatically ...

I am very happy with the paint ... although a little over half-way through the can the air pressure seemed to decrease to a point where the coverage was not nearly as good as the first half of the can ...

Dan Hines

13. dmhines

Vehicle:

I know the duplicolor does say lacquer on the can ... the Rustoleum does not indicate the type of paint ...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  14. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Dan looks good!

That is awesome that the supplier stopped in and updated the thread. (y)

15. Stavro

Stavro Transplanted New Yorican

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER ZRX1200r
    My thought exactly.