Rear Bumper Isolator

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by fullcm, Jun 27, 2019.

1. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Looks like my 74 Maverick took a hit to the bumper from the right side at some time. It sits about 1 inch off center to the left, and this is even with it adjusted as far right as it will go.
    Any ideas how to fix this? I took it to a body shop to see if he could pull it back over on his frame machine and he tried with as much force as he felt comfortable using but said it wouldn't move. He said the isolators are bent. They do look bent - but from this photo the centerline of the visible portion of the isolator lines up with the frame anchor bolt so maybe they are not bent. Looks like I need to at least pull the bumper and the isolators to find out for sure. I think the main problem is that panel that the two bolt flange mounts to is buckled. I was thinking maybe I could pound this panel somewhat back into shape and maybe drill new mounting holes in it if necessary to line up with the isolator in the straight position.

Attached Files:

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    The cross member/frame has been damaged, you can see how it "crumpled/buckled" where the lower bolt is in the picture and where undercoating has flaked off on frame rail, also space between the upper bolt/plate. A good frame shop should be able to pull it out, may have to remove the bumper etc., easy enough, just remove the 4 bolts holding the "shock" to the frame. If you can live with the "crumpled" cross member, quickest way to realign the bumper, just use shims/washers between the shock plate and cross member.......
    What does the driver's side look like?
    David

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. JOEXR793

JOEXR793 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I have a 1976 Maverick Stallion, and 85 More Mavericks and Comets in Inventory.
    I Might have a nice set ,, I need to take a Look, If You still need them,, E-mail Patricia and let her Know,, I will Have a Tech Locate a Couple for you. patti10@aol.com

Joe

4. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    As you suggested, if you remove the bumper from the shocks, using a torch to heat up the area that has buckled, you might be able to pull out the buckled area while using leverage on the shock to bend/straighten........good luck!
    David

5. JOEXR793

JOEXR793 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I have a 1976 Maverick Stallion, and 85 More Mavericks and Comets in Inventory.
    The Rear Isolators are Oil Filled,, You heat with Torch they pop like a Missile. Just replace them,

6. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    I was referring to the area on the frame cross member where it is buckled, just the torch there, not on the shock itself, do not have to heat for long.......many years ago my 74 Comet had similar damage and that was how my frame/body shop straightened the buckle. Putting on another set of shocks will not fix the damage, still has to pull out the buckle or put shims/washers between the shock plate/cross member.......he may very well need another shock, as it looks like its backing plate is bent too.

7. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Thanks David, I will have to pull everything apart and see just what is going on but as you said I think some washers to shim out that depression would work, I may have to elongate the holes in the cross member to line up too.
    Getting a body shop to look at anything like this around here is tough, they only want to do the insurance jobs.

8. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    I thought they were oil filled, I read another post that said they are filled with a foam ??

9. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    I'll let you know, probably won't get around to pulling this all apart until late August.

JOEXR793 likes this.