Rear end swap

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by SeanH, May 18, 2022.

1. SeanH

SeanH New Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick
    Hey guys, I've got a 72 Maverick 250 ci and I'm looking to do a rear end swap. What I've got right now is a 4 lug drum brake setup, and I'm looking to switch it over to a 5 lug disc brake. I've found a possible donor. A 72 mercury cougar. It's got a 9" rear with 5 lug drums. I was wondering if it would be possible to make that swap?

The cougar also has a 351 Cleveland in it, and if possible I'd like to swap that too. I know the 351w swaps right over but I'm not sure about the Cleveland

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Hello and welcome from Van BC, regarding the 72 Cougar 9 inch, it is 5" wider than your Maverick. Forget about the 351C, unless you are going to do major shock tower mods, as it is way too wide......
    David

SeanH and rickyracer like this.
  3. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    I think you'll find the Cougar rear to be almost exactly 5" too wide. The 8.8" from a Ford Ranger or Explorer is a much better match for width, though the pinion is off center. Some people pull an extra right side axle when they get their 8.8" and shorten that side enough to center it up, but it'll work. as is. Oh, and it comes with disk brakes.

The Cleveland will fit where the Windsor will fit, but you'll likely want to shave the shock towers for either. If you can weld decently it's not a crazy difficult job. Any number of people here have done it.

SeanH likes this.
  4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :Welcome:...:Handshake:

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I've seen a 351 Cleveland swap without tower modification, in fact a BOSS 351. It did have custom headers.

The Cleveland has a shorter deck height than a Windsor, but wider heads. End result is approx same clearance with each.

SeanH and Jaybee like this.
  6. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    If I was doing an 8.8 swap I would consider a mid 2000's Mustang GT rear. Unless you plan on crazy amounts of power it's plenty strong, has discs and cruiser friendly gears (Explorer would be 3.73 or 4.10). You would just need to cut off the stock brackets and add leaf spring perches.

SeanH, Jaybee and rickyracer like this.
  7. Mustang1989

Mustang1989 Member

Vehicle:
    1994 Chevrolet 383 Silverado
    Welcome aboard Sean. Looks like a few folks already have you covered here with the info you'll need.

SeanH likes this.