Color:
Matrix Viper Red
  1. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    Snake,
    Here is a discussion I had on the board when I was trying to figure this out:
    http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/flat-panel-led-front-turn-signals.93416/#post-954554

I worked with Cougars Unlimited and they created a module that solved the ground issue I was having. He is not listing them on the site but if you contact him and mention me, he will know what you are looking for. It took months to get this figured out. If you look at the photo of the trunk mounted battery, to the right of the side marker is a cylinder, that is the module.
    http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/ts1promo.htm

No issues getting the LEDs to work with the original harness other than some custom wiring of the LEDs to the front signal wire plugs so that I could still plug into the original harness. For the sequential rear turn signals, I had a custom rear harness made from the column back to the tail lights. The panels themselves just have two wires each but the wires are hair thin since they draw so little. They are hard to solder and fragile.

Yes, they consume much less power and are very bright. I have these panels in my LDO interior light. It is like daylight in there when the overhead light is on. Also, it does not get hot and burn the lens. You can leave the door open for hours and it will not kill the battery.

Micah

DGD likes this.
  2. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    Very impressive. Shows outstanding commitment!

3. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    Just finished reading the thread, this car is beautiful really great job on it :bowdown:

71Mavrk and Stefan like this.
  4. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Awesome job. This Maverick was done RIGHT. Maverick/Comet owners could learn a lot from this example.

71Mavrk likes this.
  5. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Awesome build. I made a mental note of the underside pic and used it as a reference to install emergency brake cables and parts. Beautiful car.....I hope you get to enjoy it often. Your grandfather would be proud, and I bet it is nicer than that 427 Impala!

6. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.
    The 67 Impala has not moved since 1987. I wish my brother would do something with it or sell it to me. At least it is in a garage.

In the mean time, I got dad's 63 Impala convertable. Black, white top, red interior, 327. Dad picked it up at the factory. Another excuse to clean out my bank account. We will see when I attemp that one.

Micah

7. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick
  8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    clean looking car...:thumbs2:
    what transmission mount did you use with that good looking AOD transmission crossmember?

:Handshake:

9. nidus

nidus Member

Vehicle:
    71 mercury comet gt, 75 CB550, 76 CB550
    I really enjoyed reading about this build and all the great photos. Nice job, very well done. Wanted to ask you if you felt the dynamat and dynaliner were worth the money. I really want to install this in my car as well and I'm looking to hear some opinions on it. Also love the upholstery, I really dig this build!!!

:urock:

10. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks very much.

As far as the Dynamat, the car is much quieter and cooler than before. You probably don't need to cover every square inch as I did.

The other material, Dynaliner and TacMat, in the roof, doors and floor keeps the noise down pretty nicely. The car also does not get as hot and my AC keeps the car nice and cool. It is expensive, but for all I poured into the car, I wanted to be able to enjoy driving it.

Also, my stereo sounds much clearer.

Micah

DGD and nidus like this.
  11. 1970TexMav

1970TexMav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Great job. Would you please share where you sourced your LED's? Also, was the front TCI conversion a direct bolt on or did it require cutting and welding? Do they give you new alignment specs and have you driven enough to see how your tires are wearing?

Thanks

12. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    There is nothing bolt in about the TCI front suspension, it's cutting and welding. From what I have heard they do give you specs but that isn't firsthand info.

13. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    TCI is essentially a bolt in upgrade. The only thing that needs to be cut out is a spring retaining ring in the upper shock mount. It is just spot welded in. Everything else is a direct fit. If you go to their site, you can download all their instructions.

She handles like a go cart. I'm amazed how quickly I can go around the corner. The upgraded sway bar and all the modifications to the rear suspension also help. I get very little body roll. Welding in the upgraded inner and outer shock tower should be considered if you do this upgrade and plan to really use it.

I need to get her in for an alignment. It changed a bit upon settling in. I think I may adjust the front shock up a bit. I drive her so little that I just have not gotten around to getting her in the alignment shop. I don't think there are any problems with getting a good alignment with this suspension.

Micah

14. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I suppose I should have asked which set up before I spoke up. My mind went straight to the MII derivative that is far from a bolt in.

15. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I forgot to mention, LEDs were just an eBay purchase.

I think the rack and pinion conversions are more involved. My suspension keeps the original steering assembly.

Micah