Schooling on interior door panels

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by 19Grabber72, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    As I stated I believe all Comet GT's and Maverick Grabbers in 72 had the deluxe panels with the wood grain. I believe the car shown above is not a Grabber.

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Deluxe interior didn't necessarily mean bucket seats. I have seen several cars with the deluxe interior and a bench seat. I had a 1971 that had the comfort weave material on the bench seat, and the deluxe door panels.

3. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I had a 1972 Grabber and it had the plain jane black door panels.

4. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Here is a 1972 Maverick I had with the deluxe bucket seat interior. This car was NOT a Grabber.

[​IMG]

5. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    my brothers gt has the cross pattern in stead of wood grain like i have i asked him how to get them and he said only gt models came with cross pattern.

6. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    My blue mav is not a grabber...It does have the long arm rests and chrome bases.(Pic angle is shabby but its all I have of the int all assembled) It is an original bucket seat car...No comfort weave upholstery...Mine has the corinth/ruffino vinyl. My interrior is almost a spitting image of what Craig posted but...No chrome trim on the dash...The car however, is a 6 digit DSO (special order car) Soo...Just one more monkey wrench in the works. As for the build sheet...I dare not touch it since it had begun turning to confetti long before I removed it from behind the heater box.(It was akin to an archeological dig)It is hermetically seald in a brown envelope,placed in a mayonnaise jar and is currently sitting on Funk and Wagnels front steps awaiting the Great Carnak to come and restore it so it can be handeled and perused by all...

7. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch

That looks identical to my 72 Mav, which is also not a grabber.

8. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    The 70 deluxe panels also had Weave but a different emblem. This is what I have in my car ....

[​IMG]

NCFatBoy likes this.
  9. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    wow i like that emblem makes me wish i had a maverick

10. kboldin

kboldin Alain De Cadenet Has My Job!

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    That totally matches my 70's belt :rofl2: !!!! (I really like it though!)

[​IMG]

11. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:

I have never seen that door panel in a 1970....only a 1971.

12. DavidsGaragePHX

DavidsGaragePHX Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    I see that this post is a few years old but it seems this would be the thread to ask in, I recently bought a 73 Comet that seems to be a mutt of parts. I was going to start tracking down interior parts to bring the car back from the brink of being a race car only. Today I noticed that the passenger door has a different interior handle (to open the door) than the drivers side. Im assuming this means Ive got two different year doors? Passenger side handle is down low, below your knee while the drivers door handle is near your thigh.
    If this is two different year doors, will the guts interchange or do I need to track down a different door? I should mention, the car only has a drivers side door panel and I have not removed it yet.

Thanks fellas!

David

13. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Yes....it sounds like you have two different year doors. Some doors will allow you to have the inner "guts" of any year Maverick, so maybe you will get lucky and that is your case. Post up pictures once you get the door panels out and I can let you know for sure.

14. DavidsGaragePHX

DavidsGaragePHX Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    I took some pictures today, car is nothing but a good shell at the moment. Cousin had a 5.0 engine in it back in the day when we used to street race (late 90s). Looking back, I see a lot of things we would do differently as adults.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DavidsGaragePHX

DavidsGaragePHX Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet
    Car has been sitting under a carport for the last 16-17 years. I intend to put the interior back in it as much as possible but it will never be a show car. Just moved into a new to me house and large garage plans are downtown for approval, until then nothing gets worked on. Then I have to get my 70 Bronco back together and then I can start on this. Is life always a domino effect?