Seafoam in the intake?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by JoeBob1901, Jun 20, 2005.

1. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 4dr with 302-- 95 Bronco on 1ton axles-40" tires, geared and lockers--86BII 2" lift, 31's
    I was wondering if any of you guys used Seafoam in either oil, gas, or intake. I've noticed a big difference in EFI engines throwing it through the brake booster line into intake. I'm assuming this could make a good difference on a carbed engine as well.

If you have used it? did it help any? i noticed throttle response was better after running it through the engine. Where do you put the seafoam? i tried putting a little bit last night into the carb, but it just killed it, flooded it out. I barely got 1/4 can in there if that, how are you guys getting the seafoam effect to be more enhanced? I normally like to run a can through the engine, keeping it going by tapping the gas while pouring in the can, and then shutting it off quick, and leaving it set for hours, possibly overnight..to get all the carbon buildup eaten off.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    Joseph

2. Comet155

Comet155 Member

I've heard people use in as a general cleaner added to the fuel. And also as a fuel stabilizer for the winter storage months (more effective that Sta-BiL).

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Never heard of it. Where do you get it??

4. Burlap1

Burlap1 fat lazy truckdriver

Urbana ny-wine country finger lakes wines are best
    Vehicle:
    1983 f-150 4wd,1971 cougar parts car,1973 maverick parts car,1970 maverick formerly a gramma's grocery getter,1984 f-250 460 powered,1976 f-350 u-haul,and some chevy's
    add the seafoam to the gas tank my brother in law had injector problems and it cleared it right up.i get it at the local napa dennis.removes the moisture real quickly i used it in my diesels in the winter along with isopropyl alcohol never a problem.

5. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 4dr with 302-- 95 Bronco on 1ton axles-40" tires, geared and lockers--86BII 2" lift, 31's
    cheapest i've foudn it is at ADvance, about 5.20 with tax

It's a kickass product...

You can use it on intake, suck it through the brake booster line or w/e, let it kill the engine after you suck all the can out, let the stuff set in the cylinders, then start er up whenever you need it next, it'll smoke out your street, gets all the built up carbon out of your engine, i've heard this can possibly foul your plugs, but havent SEEN it?

You can put it in your oil, empty a lil so you dont overfill the crankcase, or if you're low, just fill it up with the pint of seafoam. Then, drive around for 50 miles or w/e, then change your oil, it breaks up stuff that is caked in your engine, only want to drive around a bit to get it circulated well nad rbeak stuff off, and then drain quick..the oil change after you may want to cut "short" too, incase there is a bunch of stuff that breaks off, dont want to clog your oil filter.

You can also throw it in your gas tank, cleans out injectors n stuff...i've done the gas/intake, havent done the crankcase for some reason.

Thanks for the insight guys, but i was asking about seafoam through the intake..not the gas tank, 2 entirely different methods, with different goals

6. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    I've used it on a few high milers and had really good results. Definately a good product.

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I guess they filter out the barnacles before they package it.

8. DonO

DonO Member

Vehicle:
    1972 with mild 302
    Better way??

<If you have used it? did it help any? i noticed throttle response was better after running it through the engine. Where do you put the seafoam? i tried putting a little bit last night into the carb, but it just killed it, flooded it out. I barely got 1/4 can in there if that, how are you guys getting the seafoam effect to be more enhanced? I normally like to run a can through the engine, keeping it going by tapping the gas while pouring in the can, and then shutting it off quick, and leaving it set for hours, possibly overnight..to get all the carbon buildup eaten off.>

Instead of pouring it straight into your carb, get yourself a misting bottle
    and mist it into the carb, keeps you from drowning out the engine and causing
    problems. It's meant to be put in the tank though. Most boating supply houses
    carry seafoam also.

9. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    Misting wouldnt do anything..you'd have to squeeze that thing 50 times to get it in there, it works most effectivly when it gets sucked in, and gets "stuck" in the engine to do its work..just like anything, the longer it's in contact, the more it can work, why foam's work better for penetrants, etc.

It's not MEANT to be put in the tank....That's one of it's uses, yes..read the label buddy :rofl::rofl::rofl::90::90::90:

10. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    When I read the title I thought he was taking a ride on the beach and things got out of hand...

11. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    I thought he was going to ask about light pastel color.:huh:

12. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

lol....i just wonder how you keep the foam all fluffy....i mean ..after a while, wont the seafoam just turn back into water or something?
    j/k

i have never heard of this stuff... i might try it on my 94 blazer...i have been having one hell of a time with the EGR valve getting plugged open with chunks of carbon deposits...

you say its called SeaFoam???

start car and spray it into the throttle body let it sit in the car a little bit??

13. DonO

DonO Member

Vehicle:
    1972 with mild 302
  14. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    I normally just throw in a lil Dawn to fluff it back up, you can wash your hair with it, clean your hands from grease, do dishes, AND fluff up your seafoam with the stuff :rofl:

yep just called seafoam, same stuff in the link, just disconect brake booster line, start up engine...let it run, then stick the brake booster line down the can and let it suck it all up through the upper intake, while having someone rev up the engine some to keep it from dying, some engines die, others dont, the more you get in the cylinders the better, then just kill it right after it sucks the can dry..let it set for at LEAST an hour, i've done it overnight before with great success, just hook it back up..wait, start er up, and watch huge clouds of white smoke pour out, i've herad of people getting the fire dept. called on em because of it...I like doing it..then not getting on the accelerator till you get to a main street, then floor it at an intersection.... :rofl::D

15. syklops75

syklops75 Dont touch the spark plug

Vehicle:
    1972 4 door maverick
    actually you can do the same thing with fuel injector cleaner( yes on a carbed engine) or transmission fluid.. although the trans fluid works best as an engine flush. i have used both with good success. same methods of treatment.i like using the injector cleaner myself. but i have heard seafoam works great. i do this all the time at my shop.