Seafoam in the intake?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by JoeBob1901, Jun 20, 2005.

1. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

cool
    this is exactly what i need for my wife's car... it has a major EGR valve problem and i am tired of the truck running like crap... (brand name withheld to protect the innocent)

2. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    I used Seafoam when I first purchased my Comet. The 302 hesitated really bad when I first got it. I swear by Seafoam. I put it in thru the carb, slowly at first, until I had half the can left. Then I poured enough to kill it. Then emptied the rest of the can through the carb. I let it sit for about 10 minutes. When I fired it back up, it smoked liked crazy (white smoke). I kept waiting for sirens. I never thought it was going to quit. Smoked for about 10 minutes. After that, I never had the hesitation. It cleaned out all the carbon. What a difference.....

3. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 4dr with 302-- 95 Bronco on 1ton axles-40" tires, geared and lockers--86BII 2" lift, 31's
    I've heard people using it for EFI sensors, like putting seafoam in their IAC sensor to loosen up the crud and get the sensor working better. I personally have just cleaned out my IAC with carb cleaner n qtips, but whatever works.

That's the kind of response i was looking for, i didnt know how you were supposed to use it when pouring it straight down the carb, good to know, i'll go give that a whirl this afternoon, thanks! (y)

4. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    I am going to go out on a limb here.....Im bad about that anyhow.
    My guess is your talking about a Blazer? Its a very common problem with them.Carbon gets caught in the egr and wont let the door close all the way. best thing to do is to take it off and clean it out.

5. stmanser

Damn...you are good.... yes..its an s-10 blazer......it has done that on me 2 times..

i just called checker auto parts....they dont carry seafoam yet.....they said they are working on getting it in.....so i guess i will have to suffer a little longer

edit: i called autozone down the road from my house....and they have it in stock..YAY!....so on the way home from work today i will stop by... thanks for the info guys...

its my wife's truck...it is in good shape....interior and exterior...engine runs strong..just has the EGR prob every now and again...and the tranny needs to be rebuilt....i wish it was a c-4.... can get that rebuit cheap....but nope...it is the 4l60e.....will cost 1000-1800 to rebuild

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  6. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 4dr with 302-- 95 Bronco on 1ton axles-40" tires, geared and lockers--86BII 2" lift, 31's
    Be glad it's not an E40D buddy, its the 1/2ton-1ton updated AOD in 90+ trucks, offered as an "option" until 92, when it became standard, behind diesels, 460s, 302s, 351s, etc. Mine will cost about 2-3k to rebuild :mad:

7. PART-TIME

PART-TIME Member

Vehicle:
    Grabber Clone
    When I went to auto mechanic tech school back in the early 80's our teacher told us that CHOCOLATE MILK poured slowly down the carb. and then flood it out toward the end would dissolve the carbon build up also. Being 19 at the time I went home and tried it on my Comet. Man, :biglaugh: that car blew white smoke for miles. Can't really say I felt any change in throttle response.

8. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    When I was much younger we used to remove carbon from the combustion chamber and piston tops by slowly pouring water down the carb of a running engine. Steam cleans them. But you would only do it just before a tune up because it usually ruined the spark plugs.

9. stmanser

well i put the seafoam in the truck today.....sucked it right in....wow was it huingry.....

let it sit a good 2 hours....started it up.....and OMG....talk about smokeing.....LOL>...good thing it was dark out....ran it until it got to temp and was pumping the throttle....let it idle..pump the throttle......for about 15 mins...

shut it down....will run it again tomorrow...

hope this clears it up..

thanks

10. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    Just take her for a run, rather than just sitting in your driveway..gradual accelerations, and WOT situations, it'll clean it out in 5 minutes max

Stuff is fun isnt it :rofl:

I did it in the Mav this afternoon for a couple hours, worked well, better throttle response

11. Hippylong

Hippylong Hippylong

Vehicle:
    72 maverick, 64 dart gt v8 4spd,65 barracuda S v8 4spd
    Seafoam. Today I used the spray can version thru the carb. And 5 oz of 16oz can of liquid thru the oil bottom end..
    Night and day difference.
    Drained oil . The stuff that came out.
    Shoot..
    I might of found a new life form.
    Anyways,I recommend unhook coil and crank a lil at end of draining the flushed oil. Then new filter. Put in 4 qt for 250 6cyl. Crank engine again to prime with new oil for 15 to 30 sec .. then hook up coil and run.
    Purrs like a puppy now! ? Hehe 20201106_170350.jpg

12. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    good to know. I need to do that for mine. I put in an old truck 302 and its gunked.

Hippylong likes this.
  13. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    are you saying ...it runs like a dog?...:huh:

14. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    Love seeing a thread old enough to have a driver's license come back, haha!

I am a fan of Seafoam. I usually do a run through the fuel twice a year and then once a year I put the prescribed amount in the crankcase, do a 40 or so mile cruise, and then drain it hot.

15. Constable

Constable You have the right to remain silent....or not!

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 4 door, 1994 Mustang GT convertible
    I did that on advice on a Subaru I used to have. Made a huge difference after it had a chance to work. Pretty much smoked out the neighbors after I first started it up once I let the Seafoam sit in the intake. Looked like a James Bond car.