Short time, Lots of work! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jony, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 5.0L 302 v8 NA
    Hey there everyone, haven't been here in a while! I've been busy with school but I do have some questions to ask if anyone has the answer to them. Last week I tried driving my maverick, after not driving it for a while, but half way to my destination it shutoff. It wanted to start-up but didnt after many attempts. I checked the battery, regulator, distributor, and everything having to do with the ignition system. Any suggestions, I dont have too much time this weekend but any advice would work. My other questions involves the steering. I noticed not too long ago that sometime during any drive I make the steering wheels begins to make a HARD left. After inspecting it there was a small leak for the power steering and there was a small broken rod on the steering shaft. Not sure how important it is but everything else seemed to be fine. Anybody have any ideas?

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    has it cranked now that it's cooled down?

3. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    Is it a Points type Distributor? Sounds like it jumped Timing. Pull your Distributor Cap and check Rotor Timing. We need more info on the steering Rod and or pictures.

71gold likes this.
  4. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 5.0L 302 v8 NA
    So I got very busy and forgot to say that it is cranking. The alternator was tested and it was fine as well as the timing for the distributor. I did some research and found that it might be either the ignition coil, distributor, or spark plug wires. I wont be able to test either one of those until I Saturday when I get back home. Until then ill try to get a picture of that broken rod on the steering column when I get the chance.