Showing off the Original Spare Tire

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by rosalindr, Apr 8, 2006.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    Hi,

My 1973 Grabber has the original Goodyear spare tire. I plan to replace it with a modern, steel-belted radial, but I'd like to show off the original. Should I leave it in the trunk and show it off with the lid up at car shows? The trunk isn't all that interesting, and I'd have to have the real spare in there too. Or should I take the original spare out of the trunk at car shows, and lean it next to the rear bumper?

I suppose I'll need a new wheel for the new spare. Can I find a new wheel in the original size, or should I look for an original wheel?

Roz :tiphat:

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    In some shows, the Roundup included, the trunk is judges as well as the rest of the car. If you leave the trunk closed, you wont get any points in that catagory. Since its only a spare, I would keep it mounted and clean it up. I still have one of the original tires fro my Sprint. Unfortunately you cant get D70x14s anymore.

3. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Just get another stock wheel and mount a new spare on it, leave the original at home untill you go to a show and then put it back in.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I would keep the original spare in the car. The likelyhood of you ever actually using it is pretty slim.

I ALMOST had to use the original spare in my white '74 LDO. I came out of church and my tire was flat. I thought if I drove it real slow I could make it to the gas station across the street and air it up. Halfway across the parking lot I decided it wasn't worth possibly screwing up my aluminum wheel and tearing the tire to shreads. Luckily my wife drove seperate that day...so she drove me home 10 miles...I got a spare...and drove 10 miles back and swapped them out...just so I wouldn't have to use the original spare. I tried to explain the reasoning to Jill...but she just didn't quite get it????

5. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    just my opinion, but if your going to show the car i would have all the tires matching. a different tire in the trunk may get the judges attention, especially if your in a stock/original class. if you really want it to look all original can't you get tires from coker? someone else may know the answer to that. :)

6. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Well if the original spare is still in the trunk it obviously wan't used in 33 years. But I've been told I can't use the original spare with new tires, because the size won't match. Not only that it's fiberglass not steel belted, so I don't want original replicas from Coker because I plan to use the car as a daily driver.

It sounds like there's no big advantage to having an original tire. I thought that it would add to the authenticity. I don't expect to win a prize, but I thought it might make the car look more original (even if the other tires are all replaced).

7. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I would just get a new tire and rim for the spare, and keep the original one for the day when we have Concours correct Maverick restorations. :yup:

8. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    And that day will be in what century :biglaugh: ?

9. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    right... but you can always repaint the orginal wheel or power coat it.

god please say it won't be so!

wow your bolt matches and you kept the tag on your suspention they way it came from the dealer! thats being orginal! big wuppe! throw me a bone!

10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Dang it....where is the "Throw Derrick a Bone" smiley when you need it.