So I drove the Maverick to a car show yesterday....

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Rick Book, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    ** NO PICTURES (yet) ALERT! **

CHAPTER I

There was a car show about 2 miles from my house yesterday.

It was a charity event so I figured I’d contribute and see what “non-MCCI” shows were like.

Rather than load up the car onto the trailer, take a chance at damaging the dent in the Durango hatch (;)), strap the car down, unload, reload, unload, etc., I decided to drive it there (this is on Drag Slicks and Skinnies, btw).

No problem getting there.

I arrived a little late so, it seemed all eyes and ears were on me as I pulled into the show area (nothing like being fashionably late and making a grand entrance). With the high stall converter, thank the Man I didn't run over anyone (the car LEAPS forward once the converter catches).

Pulling into my assigned space, I was swarmed by a motley crew of on-lookers, from :eek:, to (y), to :bowdown:. I guess I was a little surprised. I was kind’a expecting more of these guys --> :rofl2:.

This being only my second car show and first show of "non-MCCI members", I had no idea that I'd be asked three thousand questions about the car. All the usual questions you Car Show Frequenters get I'm sure so you can stop reading now - you've heard 'em all.

Of course, 90% of the crowd had some story relating to either their own Maverick or their Dad's, or Mom's, or old buddy's.

I didn't mind the questions and comments at all, but I had to hold back my smiles and chuckles on a few. As I said, I'm sure you've heard these also, but here's a list of questions and comments I overheard (some I fielded - some I let go because they were just too far out there).

a) The very first comment to me before I even got out of the car: "Man, I have always loved Pinto's!"
    b) "What will she top out at?"
    c) "Is that a Nitrogen bottle in the trunk? Cool!"
    d) (While showing his son the M/T Drag slicks), "Look son, these are what you call, 'Cheater Slicks!"
    e) "That thing must be fast - it has a roll bar!"
    f) One friend to another: "Those are the safest seats ever made. You don't even NEED an air-bag if you have those!"
    (me --> :confused: I couldn't come up with anything to say about that comment.)
    g) "I had a '68 Maverick with a 427 in it!"
    h) Referring to my pedestal mounted Hurst Quarter Stick Floor Shifter, one man asked: "What does that thing do?"
    i) After I answered that the transmission was a C4, "Man, I love 4-speeds!"
    j) Referring to my Transbrake button on the Shifter, "Look! There's his Nawz button!"
    k) About the 5-pt harness: "Look! It even has a 4-Point Seat Belt!"
    l) Looking puzzled at the Holley Systemax II EFI Upper Intake: "Man, that's a HUGE Holley four barrell!"
    m) "Excellent job on the mini-tub!" (my car is not mini-tubbed)
    n) (Because he learned from me that it was Electronic Fuel Injected) Hubby to wife: "The Mavericks were the first to come out with Fuel Injection!". (The wife was not impressed anyway).

Two of my favorites of the day:

One chubby little kid (~9 years old). "I'm going to be an Engineer when I grow up and I'm going to get me one of these!" Followed by, "I'm going to be an athlete too. I've already lost so much weight these pants are about to fall off of me!" (shows me how baggy his pants are)

My "favorite" favorite comment of the day was from some very intrigued older lady while looking at the Nitrous bottle, "What kind of gas mileage do you get using Nitrogen?"

Don't get me wrong - I'm not making fun of these folk - and I certainly didn't make them feel stupid for asking the questions or making the remarks. I appreciated all the comments and questions. Some were just too funny and 'interesting' not to share with you guys.

Chapter II

Before the show ended, a HUGE thunderstorm rolled in!

Now, any sane man would’ve left the car there, took the offered ride home and come back later to drive it home when the roads were dry – not me. I’d spilled too much blood, skinned too many knuckles and spent way too much money on it to let it sit there for somebody to take home with them, so I decided to drive it home - on slicks - and skinnies – in the rain!

Not having any windshield wipers made the drive home even more exciting. :D

I did have Susie follow behind me with the Emergency flashers ON. After arriving home safely and without incident, I acted like the ordeal was ‘nothing’, :drive: when in actuality, something warm was running down my leg all the way home. Man! That was the longest 2 mile drive of my entire life!!! What the he** was I thinking! :coco:

Hopefully, the event photographer will post some pictures of the car show soon and I’ll post the link.

The End
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

cool story(y)

there were a few comments that were new to me there:biglaugh: and I've heard some doosies.

3. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Cool story! Let me guess it guit raining right after you got home!:biglaugh:

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    the main thing is you had fun right...(y)

5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    LOL...sounds like you had more fun at your show than I did at mine yesterday. I was elected to be one of the judges so I didn't get to enjoy much of the show. It was entirely too hot to have to get out of the shade. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hang by my car to hear all of the comments but I think you got enough for both of us. Anyway, glad you made it home safe.

6. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    At least you had a good time....I love the comments & stories at the shoes also....

7. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Been going to shows with my dad since before I can even remember, and I have never heard some of those! I can't believe someone would bother to ask what kind of gas mileage your car is getting. That just cracks me up to no end. :rofl2:

8. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Great Story,Thanks for Sharing(y)

9. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Very interesting read. Man, are thee some clueless people at car shows or what?!...

10. MikeG747

MikeG747 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Grabber, 347 4V w/F-1X, 1974 Maverick Grabber 302 4V, 1974 Maverick Grabber 302 2V, 1971 Maverick Grabber 302 4V.
    Unbelievable story! WOW. :yikes: You need to send that in to Larry the Cable Guy. He could probably use some new material. :yup:

11. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    glad you had a good time. those are funny comments. wish i could have went.

12. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    See,sometimes racecars do need wipers....:D

13. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

Great Story!

14. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Great story!!!
    Dan

15. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I really laughed out loud, I don't do that often from reading off the internet!

By the way, my first car was a '68 Maverick with a 429 so I one upped him :rolleyes: