Spindle Saga

Discussion in 'Technical' started by skin, Aug 16, 2019.

1. skin

skin Registered User

Vehicle:
    '73 357ci Grabber
    Hey All- It’s been awhile since I posted but looking for some advice. When I was converting the drum brakes over to disc on my ‘73 I picked up a set of disc brake spindles off a Granada (forgot the year they are off of) and bolted them on, used a ceramic coated single piston caliper, some nice slotted/drilled rotors and a Wilwood master cylinder. I could never get this thing to stop the right way for the life of me.
    Today I decided I had enough and decided that I was going to upgrade the brakes to the 4 piston #140-11074 Wilwood Dynalite system , so I called and talked with a tech at Wilwood. He said thats the setup he wants me to use but it will not work with the Granada Disc spindles but only with the drum or disc spindles from the Maverick or a few other select Fords...and my original spindles which are long gone. He said the reason the car wasn’t stopping is the single piston caliper and their 7/8” bore piston master cylinder is not meant to work together.
    I guess what I’m asking is what drum/disc spindle will bolt on as I’ll try and locate what’s available.
    As always...thanks and the best place for answers is here!
    Denny

Attached Files:

2. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Did he have any recommendations on a master cylinder that WILL work with the single piston calipers ?

Krazy Comet likes this.
  3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Sounds to me as if you're going to toss out the baby with the bathwater.

I have a '74 Maverick Disc/Drum MC on my '72 that has single piston '69 Torino brakes(no the four piston system won't bolt to those spindles either). Stops fine. It's not power so pedal is a little heavy, one of these days I may add a booster and then I may not.

The Maverick drum spindle is same as '70-'71 Torino, Ranchero, Cyclone etc & '70-'73 Mustang & Cougar. Actually '68-'69 are also same but spindle and tie rod pin size are slightly smaller on those.

For my Fairlane, I'm thinking about using the four piston disc brake kit chockostang sells. I already have a NOS booster that will fit.

skin and Maverocket like this.
  4. Maverocket

Maverocket Bob Williams

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav, 62 F100 unibody
    The least expensive fix would be to swap out the willwood master for a 74 Maverick disc master cylinder like Tom said.
    If you’re set on stepping up to the 4 piston Willwoods you will have to swap out the disc spindles for drum spindles.

skin likes this.
  5. skin

skin Registered User

Vehicle:
    '73 357ci Grabber
    I wanted to ask him that but got sidetracked and never did. I’m sure a OEM would probably do the job. I’m assuming

6. skin

skin Registered User

Vehicle:
    '73 357ci Grabber
    Thanks for the info

7. skin

skin Registered User

Vehicle:
    '73 357ci Grabber
    Ya I get it. Thank you all for the replies as always appreciated

8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Maverick/Granada disc brakes will stop the car just fine. I think you have other issues, like the master cylinder, as stated.