Start

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Vinchez78, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Vinchez78

Vinchez78 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 mercury comet
    Is it normal to give it some gas as ur cranking for it to start on these cars, i have a 73 comet and sometimes I have to give it some gas, other times it'll start right up, this is my first old car, lol

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    For cold engine start, it's always been stated in owners manual to depress gas pedal to floor and release. Primes the carb and sets choke.

If I don't pump my 428 at least 5 or 6 times it won't begin to start.

3. Vinchez78

Vinchez78 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 mercury comet
    Ah cool, thank you so much, I thought it was my car only.

4. baddad457

baddad457 Member

If the ignition is in tune (new plugs, wires and point dwell adjusted correctly, with a dwell meter) oyu should pump the pedal twice and it should fire right off when you crank it. Depending on how well the choke works, you may have to baby the gas pedal a minute or two (depending on the outside temps) to get it to idle by itself. Me? I remove the choke mechanism altogether and baby the pedal till it idles. Automatic chokes are good for one thing in my book...…...you can count on it sticking of somehow malfunctioning when you least expect it. A manual choke is better

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Yeah pump the throttle a few times and have the engine run without feathering for a couple minutes.

Back in the day, most of the sticking chokes could be traced to debris/rust/scale in the hot air pickup. Caused pull off piston in choke housing to jamb.

Comet has a new Holley with electric choke & I've converted the orig Cobra Jet carb to electric as well. When started they idle just fine.

mojo likes this.
  6. baddad457

baddad457 Member

It should after pumping the pedal 5-6 times :evilsmile: Mine will do that without a choke after pumping it that many times if it doesn't flood it. Cam selection comes in here too. I ran an Explorer 5. with three different carbs (600, 750, 570) on a Ford A321 intake and it would light off after cranking 5 seconds with no choke and idle on it's own in 25* weather. The 'sploders F4TE cam worked great with a carb.