Swapping a 5 lug rear into a 1970 Mav.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ford Freak, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Ford Freak

Ford Freak IG page the_marvelousmaverick -- follow me !

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2dr 200,c4 ,ac -sold. 1972 Mexican Maverick 302 4 spd - parted out , 1970 maverick v8 swap. 63 Galaxie 500 2dr sedan , 1984 VW Rabbit GTI
    Hi guys. I’ve got a few questions.
    Before pulling my 6cly rear end , I want to make Sure , about the spring perches , the ones with the u bolts go through.. my 72 donor car had staggered shocks .
    The 70 doesn’t...
    would 65 Mustang spring perches work? For the 5 lug rear?

I just want to double check... the car is in the air ; I still have a chance to put the wheels back and put her back in the garage; before tearing it down & having to wait on parts

Or can I use the 6 cly ones already in ? To mount it

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Spring perch will not matter. It is the same springs for both. What is different is the shock mount plate that goes below the spring. Just use your '70 plates and bolt the 5 lug right in. If your '70 has an 8" it is the same u-bolts. I'm not sure about the u-bolts for the real early axle - you might need different ones.

Ford Freak likes this.
  3. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    I just re-read your post and want to be clear on the terminology. The spring perch is the part welded to the axle tube that sits on top the spring.

The early '70 cars had a lighter duty rear axle - not an 8" - and I'm not sure if that axle uses smaller shock plates and smaller u-bolts. By mid '70 they came with 8" rears. Which rear end does your '70 have?

Ford Freak likes this.
  4. Ford Freak

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2dr 200,c4 ,ac -sold. 1972 Mexican Maverick 302 4 spd - parted out , 1970 maverick v8 swap. 63 Galaxie 500 2dr sedan , 1984 VW Rabbit GTI
    Got good news. The portion with the u bolts are the same. I installed the Dana 44 , an used some repop Auto Krafters u bolts. It went right in and went smooth ,
    The car came with a small 4ug rear

It’s all bolted up , now all I just need is the shackles , and I’ll mount the traction bars , I might get the air shocks soon

5. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Just say no to air shocks, they have tendency to fatigue the metal that upper shock mount bolts to and end up with with the shock mount broken or in the trunk area, now with that said if you decide to use air shocks anyway do not inflate them to higher pressures just to get clearance for wider tires the fact is you can only go so big with tires and what will fit may be a trial and error method unless you do some measuring from wheel hub to inner fender and wheel hub to leaf springs. Most of the time with a Maverick rearend you can use a 15x 8" wide rim with 4" backspace and some cars you can get away with 4 1/2" backspace. Tires are a different story with many opinions on sizes that can fit

Ford Freak and 71gold like this.
  6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    There are always solutions to most any problem(s)... Likely one should install reinforcement plates if they are going to use air shocks with over 40-50lbs... I have them on my Comet to help with saggy rear springs, but don't use more than 40lbs of air pressure...

Ford Freak likes this.
  7. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Glad it came together for you ..... :thumbs2:

So, when you say small rear - was it the 7.25 ? (the one with the rear cover)
    I'm curious if the 7.25 shock plates and u-bolts fit.

Ford Freak likes this.
  8. Ford Freak

Vehicle:
    It all bolted up I used the same plates and same diameter u bolts.

I’ve got a lot of pics to upload. I’m wrestling the 302 in , the left header was a pain . My friend an I should have it mounted today .

Acornridgeman likes this.