T-5 to a TKO-600 swap

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by HarleyGA, Jun 22, 2017.

1. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    I want to upgrade the tranny in my 73 Maverick from a World Class T-5 to a TRO-600 and want to be sure I have my bases covered. My bell housing is from a stock 89 Mustang GT. I am using a Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch. My flywheel is a PRW INDUSTRIES INC 1628981 - SBF 157 TOOTH 28OZ. I see that the mounting point for the transmission mount is 1 1/3 inches further back from the front of the tranny. I guess I will have to have a new or modified one made. Any suggestions? My engine puts out 425 ft-lbs of torque at the flywheel. I thinking about a RAM HDX Clutch Kit. Suggestions or comments would be great! Anything else I need to know about?

2. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Ok first of all you need to change out your bell housing the T5 uses a different bolt pattern then the TKO. Ford racing does make a bell housing to bolt a TKO up to the winsor block and they are fairly easy to find used.
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-rac...tko600-3550-289-302-351-1982-1995/p/M6392R58/

The TKO also uses a different length input shaft then the T5 does. The ford TKO has a 6" long input shaft from the face of the transmission to the end of the input, the T5 uses either a 7.18 or 7.85" input shaft.
    There are several different hydraulic clutch options for the TKO either you can go with the external slave cylinder like the one shown here
    http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/hydraulic_slave.htm
    or you can go with an integrated slave cylinder/throw out bearing setup like this one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDRAULIC-C...ash=item19fde2b098:g:BksAAOSw8-tWU5~k&vxp=mtr

Next your transmission with the proper bellhousing uses the same mounting point as the Ford AOD automatic transmission, so you can either use one of the AOD crossmember kits that have been modified for clearance or you can build your own.

Also the next question is do you really need a tk0600 or will a tko500 suffice? Yes the 500 is only rated with a 500lbs-ft torque cap in comparison to the 600lbs-ft torque cap of the TKO600. But there is a cost difference in finding clutches for the 10 spline input shaft of the TKO500 that uses the same clutch as the T5 or you will have to deal with the 26 spline input shaft of the TKO600. Also remember to change your yoke on the output shaft too.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Thanks for the help. The TKO 500 and TKO 600 are the same price but I figured I must be missing something. Do you know anything about the Astro Performance A5? Lots of great reviews on the Mustang forums. Cheaper and all packaged in the T5 housing.

4. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Here is my thread on installing the TKO if you are interested. Mine is actually the TR3550 TKO this is basically the same transmission as a TKO600 they use the same transmission case and input/output shaft but they have a lower torque rating then the TKO600. Instead of the 600 ft-lbs torque rating it only has around a 525-550 ft-lbs torque rating this was accomplished primarily due to a redesigned countershaft and higher alloy steel.
    http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/so-my-car-now-has-a-tremec-tko.80140/

5. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Everyone I know that uses the Astro performance A-5s seem to love them, with you putting out 425 Ft-lbs of torque you are limited to the the 575 Ft-lbs torque version, and from what I have found they are actually more expensive then the TKO600 in that configuration, you might be able to run the lower torque rated A-5 but its max rating is 425 Ft-lbs of torque so that might be a gamble. Be aware that the astro A-5's use the same 26 spline input shaft and 31 spline output shaft size that the TKO600 use so you will have to change your clutch and your output shaft yoke also.

6. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Astro claims 485 ft-lbs for the A5 with a price tag of $2275. I need to call them to discuss my application. I'll let you know what they have to say.

7. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    I called. Tony is out until Monday. Their website says 425 ft-lbs but the guy I spoke with said the A5 was rated at 485. I have plenty of time to find out since they won't have anything available until October.

8. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    Received my A-5 tranny from Astro Performance today. Great deal. It's rated to 485 ft-lbs and 550 hp. I ordered it with a 2.95 first gear a 0.59 overdrive and a 26 spline input shaft. For $2,195 plus my old T5 I have a direct bolt in transmission. I only had to upgrade to a 26 spline clutch kit. My wife and I were on our way to visit her mother in FL when I realized we were driving right by the shop. Tony Sarvis (owner) spent about an hour explaining their technology . He pulled the gears to show how they engineered such a strong tranny out of a World Class T5. He would have spent more time but my wife was tugging at my sleeve eager to get me out of there. A very nice experience. Give these guys a call if you’re ever in the market for a performance five speed. I hope to make the swap in the next couple of days.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/m5lp-0707-mustang-t5-transmission-upgrade/

maver88 likes this.