T5 questions

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by GreenMAV4734, Sep 24, 2017.

1. GreenMAV4734

GreenMAV4734 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    This question is in regards to my 1968 mustang, but ive been coming here for years about my maverick and in my opinion this is the best car forum on the internet.

My question is this: I have a t5 attached to my 302 but it needs to be changed. Can I use a t5 out of anything? I can use the bell housing, tail, shafts, or whatever else necessary off the transmission I have, I just need to replace the gearbox really. I dont care if its a 2.3 trans or whatever, I drive really easy and I'm not making much horsepower. I just want the car to drive again. I've read a lot but still have questions: did the ranger come with a t5? Can I swap parts onto a GM t5 to make it work? Will a later model v6 mustang trans work? I know the input shaft is longer but I'm wondering if I can just switch out the one from mine onto a different one.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there and I'm having trouble getting any clarity

Essentially I just want to know what my options are, keeping in mind I have a full parts transmission at my disposal. Thank you!!

29Racer likes this.
  2. GreenMAV4734

GreenMAV4734 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    Also if anyone around West KY has a t5 or a c4 they want to sell please let me know

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    The 4 cyl T-5 uses a smaller pilot bearing , one for a Probe('member those?) is said to work... the 3.97 1st gear is so low it's almost like a granny gear in a V8 application(though work OK with something like a 2.75-3.00)... Biggest issue is they are weak and easily broken with any real torque.... As mentioned the later V6 can be used but require a deeper bell housing... I believe it's possible to use the input shaft from the V8 version in the V6 trans but I've never tried it, definitely a no-no for the 4cyl tran as ratio is different(gears won't mesh) and case is machined differently... Except for some of the bearings, internally a 4 cyl trans is almost totally different...

Most of the GM trans are non world class(as were '83 & '84 Mustang)have a different spline count for clutch and D/S, not worth the bother(shifter generally in wrong location as well)... Few parts interchange between World & non-World Class versions...

Rangers used a Mazda something or other transmission, not going to fit without mods... I dunno if bolt pattern is same or not...

4. GreenMAV4734

GreenMAV4734 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    Im thanks for the reply! I managed to find one out of an 88 fox today for 200 bucks...I'm still curious though if anyone has more info. I feel like it should be possible to switch the tail housing and shafts onto most t5 boxes and make a mustang one, but that may be naive.

Also in case anyone is interested, instead of buying a hydraulic clutch kit I used an s10 master cylinder and 300zx slave...cost me less than a hundred bucks and I've been using it for 5 years

302proof likes this.
  5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    There is a wealth of informaton here.
    http://www.5speeds.com/t5/
    From what I have read regarding parts swapping, Ford to Ford (spline count and pilot bearing?) up front but tail housings are interchangeable.

6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I've heard of S-10 tail housings being used on Ford transmissions to move shifter forward...

7. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I read the same thing on the HAMB. I was considering running one behind a flat head V8 IF I ever get around to that project and it is highly recommended in early hot rods to keep the correct look.

8. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    Just by coincidence, there is an article about putting a T5 behind a mid 60's to mid 70's Ford small block bell housing in the Nov 2017 issue of Hot Rod.

MD