Talk about a car thats came a long way in 2 months!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jamie Miles, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    The boy does not lack for gumption and get-to-it-ness. He may lack sleep, but not gumption.

Good job, Jamie.

2. 924 Mav

924 Mav Ed Winegar

Vehicle:
    (2) 1970 Mavericks and a 1971 4dr Maverick
    Jamie,

That is what I call stretching a dollar. Looks good!

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Yes, I'm still in high school. Car draws alot of attention there in the mornings. I could have got it together quicker had I not been lazy. Been driving the thing around for a month with basically no interior. Many days I could have gone out and worked on it but instead sit around all evening on this board or went out and goofed off. Finnaly decided the last few days to just get out and get it done. Sure is alot more quiet going down the road with a full interior. And I'm sure my friends will enjoy haveing arm rests in the back again instead of just open inner quarters. :)

It was pretty nasty under the back seat, but not nearly as bad as the '74. Didn't find anything dead in this car at least.

I built this car pretty much with the best of what I had laying around or could get cheap at the junk yard. Most of the money just went towards fluids, gaskets, exaust pipe clamps and stuff like that. Car is rought around the edges, no doubt about it, and under the hood is certainly no work of art, but it's reliable and is a perfect daily driver as far as I'm concerned. Looks good from 5 or 10 foot. ;)

I was going to put the original engine from Dan's '74 in it over spring break, but I think I'm just going to save that engine for later and run this one 'till it starts smokeing and dies. I'm planning right now to swap in the 5 lug rear end and put the dual exaust from my '74 on it over spring break. Probably put new tires on it about that time also. Currently has 185's. Figgure on either 195's or 205's all the way around, haven't decided which yet. Want to drop the front end about an inch also. Has the stock 170/200 springs on it still, but I would like to have a little more hunkered down look in the front.

I appreciate all the positive comments. Makes it worth while.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  4. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

looks pretty good.... i bet you are very happy with the way it turned out..

good job

5. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Good job, Jamie...Very nice indeed...

6. 69 ina 1/2

69 ina 1/2 Fox body nut!!!

Vehicle:
    691/2 maverick (sold to Mad Goon), 89 mustang coupe, 89 mustang GT, Gas-guzzlin' 05 Ford f150
    Gee, high school huh, I remember that, kinda fuzzy though:biglaugh: . Chasing girls, not chevys:D . I'am assuming a Maverick was your first. My first car was a 1980 Honda Accord, not exactly a power house ya know? I think I speak for all of us when I say thanks for NOT driving a clapped out Honda with a crappy wing and a cheesy fart can muffler like all the other kids are doing. You've made the correct choice(y) .I'll bet your the teachers pet....in auto shop;) . Keep up the good work.

7. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Thanks, yea I'm very happy with how it turned out. Much better then I expected for sure. I didn't really like the hub caps at first but they are growing on me now. Don't have to worry about curb rash or anything with them. I probably will eventually remove the side trim, fill the holes and paint the entire car a silghtly deeper shade of red. I think we need to start up a club for spray painted Mavericks. Dan, you hear me? ;)

My first ever vehical that was actually mine is my 1971 F250. The '74 Grabber was my first street legal car. We have no auto shop class at my school. Pretty sure a couple of my teachers don't really like me that much.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a ricer. :) Chaseing girls? I don't know what you are talking about. They chase me... :rofl2: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  8. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    Looks good, great job Jamie!

9. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    Jamie,

Hemmings Clasic Car has a regular feature called "The Next Generation," on young people, under 20 or 25, who restore old cars. The blurb on the page says, "Hemmings Classic Car would like to hear about other young people who like classic American cars. If you know of an interesting story, send photographs, commentaries and questions to The Next Generation, c/o Hemmings Classic Car, P.O. Box 196, Bennington, Vermont 05201. Email dstrohl@hemmings.com.

You should send your pictures and story to Classic Car. I'd love to see a good story in there about restoring Mavericks and about you. You've done so much, you might even get your own column! (y) Go for it.

Roz

10. inline6

inline6 Member

lookin good jamie!(y)

11. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    Honestly I thought this was a joke when I first stated reading it, Amazing Jamie can you come to Iowa and work that magic on my Comet?

12. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I've had several people tell me about this. I've been thinking about it. :yup:

Guess I need to post a pic of the back with the dual exaust I have on there now. This car will likely be getting a 302 before the end of the year. Possibly the original one out of my dad's old Comet if I can get it back from my uncle. :)

13. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    :evilsmile were you going to run the same "DD Fuel" :29:

*sorry Dan....I had too :evilsmile

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  14. inline6

inline6 Member

:eek: :rofl2: damn!!

15. Jamie Miles