Th350

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by jhehl, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jhehl

jhehl Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    I've been looking for some time and can't find any info. will a th350 with a sbf bellhousing fit in a maverick without having to cut the tunnel? thanks for any help/info.

2. jhehl

jhehl Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    out of 28 views and no one can help.

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Only TH350 I ever installed was in a '81 Diesel Cutlass...

JoeB likes this.
  4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Not a common swap so I would guess you'll be hard pressed to get an answer from someone that has actually done the swap. I haven't seen a 350 side by side with an AOD but that might be the best comparison. Plenty of AODs installed so if they are similar in size you can get an idea of any modifications you may be up against. Out of curiosity, why a 350 over a C4?

jasonwthompson likes this.
  5. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Not trying to pop anyones bubbles here but IMO it would be a waste of time energy and money to do such a thing UNLESS.. you happen to have a fully built/higher dollar investment TH350 sitting and collecting dust. Even then.. sell it and go to a built C4 to make you life MUCH easier. C4 is lighter and saps less parasitic horsepower too.

Or if you're going to all the trouble of an adapter.. just forego all the non-OD choices and move to an 700R4/4L60. Or.. again.. make your life easier and move to a truer bolt in AOD/4r70W.. no adapters required. Be prepared for tunnel and exhaust clearance(headers included) mods too.

BTW, there are a few mfgrs that make this adapter. JW and advance adapters can set you up. Just be prepared for some of the swap components prices to far outweigh the overall price of building up and installing a Ford based unit. The advance stuff is the most cost effective but again.. be prepared for more headaches on the transmission front alone than most guys care to deal with on their entire cars build.

mojo likes this.
  6. jhehl

jhehl Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    thanks for the info everyone. the car is a drag car so I'm not to concerned about exhaust routing i just don't want to make more work for myself if i have to cut up the tunnel to make a th350 fit, and the reason i ask is cause i came across a deal on a th350 that has a sbf sfi approved bellhousing that still has a few years of cert. left. If all else fails i already called my transmission builder to get a c4 that i have built with a brake, I'm just waiting to hear back from him with the quote.

7. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Just go to a built power glide W/a trans brk and be done with it...If its a drag car only...

8. jhehl

jhehl Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    A glide won't work with my tire size and my rear gear. Its a turbo car, I need to go with a three speed for for the lower first to get off the line.

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    you could build a glide with almost any ratio you want. I see where your coming from though...Like it was stated before, get a built C4. You can tailor the ratios in that too.

10. jhehl

jhehl Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    The glide is still limited due to the amount of available space inside. normally when drag racers want to switch to a two speed they use a th350/400 instead of a glide for the case capacity to allow them to run a taller gear. one of the problems im finding with the c4 is the increased cost to build at the same holding limit than a th350, it seems everywhere i look it's atleast $500+ more for a built c4 vs th350, or I'm looking in the wrong places.

11. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    I've got th350 collecting dust, if you need any measurements, let me know.

12. jhehl

jhehl Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    thanks mercgt73. im still pretty far from getting the drive train in but when it comes time ill chime in for measurements.

13. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    Every time I get mad at my Fords, I just think about the GM diesel cars.:rofl2:

Static and Krazy Comet like this.
  14. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    LOL, I have to say in five years mine only completely let me down once, even then was still running fine but dripping coolant due to broken head bolt... I did have to "ding" on it a few times to get it home... Occasionally had to pop hood and jump glow plug solenoid that GM borrowed from Ford, plus the inj pump and TH 200 both puked(why I inst the 350) but it limped it home each time... Helped that my brother-in-law worked at a shop that was installing gas engines, so had a good supply of parts...

Couple other things was flexplate worked loose(started knocking), re-torquing fixed that and the in tank water strainer plugged up, so had to keep it above 1/4 tank or it'd quit... Not to mention it's bitch to reprime a diesel once the injection pump sucked air...

All in all it was a great $300 car, that after five years+ I sold for $300...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016