the life and times of my 71 comrick build

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Bryant, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 2mav4u

2mav4u It will someday be back on the road

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Shock tower is coming out great! Any new progress on Comrick?
    Happy birthday by the way! Guess I'm not the only one born on this day.

2. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    Happy birthday to you too.
    Ive finished with all the cutting on the shock towers and made all the filler panels. Now just welding and grinding.

3. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    wow life has been crazy the last year. i really havent gotten much more done with the comrick.
    i did have willie rells the prostock car builder, build an aluminum rear firewall for the car. he did the one that was in the maverick and i just had to have that same level of awesomeness in this car also. he also fitted the dash and mounted it for me.

heres some pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also got a maverick man carbon fiber cowl hood for the car

[​IMG]

im hoping i can get the time, money, and motivation all lined up at the same time to make some good progress soon.

i plan on finishing the shock tower notch, weld up all the holes in the engine compartment and the trim holes on the body.
    then put the motor in and the t5 to make sure they fit and to cut the hole for the shifter.
    then ill get it painted satin black again. at that point it will be a matter of just putting every thing together.
    well hopefully the next update wont take so long.

4. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Looking good....

5. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    That about covers it - real nice :thumbs2:

6. John Holden

John Holden Member

You're painting te whole car satin black? I thought I read somewhere in this thread that you were matching the exterior paint somewhere on the car. Quarter panels maybe. Around wheel openings??

7. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    i cant stand the green that the car is. no its going to be satin black. i do have a really nice paint job in mind but it would be very expensive and thats not in the budget but a nice satin black like the maverick was is.

8. StaffAmerica74

StaffAmerica74 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Any updates in the last year and a half on this car? I really like this one.

9. Bryant

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    i have been busy doing lots of r&d with the white car at the autocross!
    ya thats it. well kind of.
    honestly the only thing i have done in the last year is some welding work on the shock tower shave and weld up some holes in the inner fender walls.
    I am hooked on this autocross thing and still thinking about exactly how i want to build it.
    right now the current thoughts are, taking the 331 from the white car and changing the pistons from the low compression dished ones to some flat tops and put that motor in the comet. im torn on going efi or staying carb. the current carb set up works really well. lately we have been using fitech efi on customer cars and it works really well and is very fordable. i have every thing to do a megasquirt 3 with an efi spider intake but its all high rpm stuff that was intended for use with a supercharger. it will kill my low end power. i need it to pull out of the turns in autocross. i also have an explorer intake that im really tempted to use because it should make for huge torque on the lowend.
    i have a gforce gear set for another t5 but im not liking the noise of the gforce t5s. im considering selling that and building a z spec t5 with a few upgrades. it should be strong enough for everything except aggressive dragracing. im still undecided on this part.
    for suspension, i plan on using the stock type control arm geometry on the front with custom built tubular control arms and a coil over going to the lower control arm. Im really looking into doing a power rack and pinion conversion using crownvic55's diy way along with some tie rod mount relocators to increase the turn angels.
    on the rear im planning on building a 3 link coil over suspension with a panhard bar. im dreaming of doing a full floater kit on the rear diff. so thats the current plan.
    it boils down to im having so much fun with the white car that getting motivation to work on the comet is tough. in the end, i want the comet done. the white car is great but has lots of issues that im not happy with. The cage is to intrusive on my space. the comet cage is much better tucked into the body. their are some rust issues in the white car. mostly the cowl but the quarters are in poor shape to. it doesnt have ac or heat, the blue interior doesnt really suit me. these things are what ensures that i will finish the comet when i get all my ducks in a row.

10. navyfc117

navyfc117 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Exploder, 2006 F250 and 73 maverick
    Buy my 347 so I can do a 408 in mine

11. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Sounds like u have a plan --- all u need now is motivation and time... :huh:

12. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    It looks like the Comet will be the recipient of all the R&D done in the mav. If it is anything like slot car racing/building, R&D never ends. I find what you are doing to/with these cars to be very interesting. I think you are doing R&D for all of us....thank-you for sharing. Lol, driving is mostly more fun than building, and I do hope you get to drive the Comet someday.