To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by berto, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Oh......I would still buy it for that price....regardless of condition. If anything, that $300 could provide a great education on the workings and assembly of a Maverick.

2. berto

berto New Member

hey everyone,

thanks for the addt'l input! the floorpan was not rusty, but i couldn't directly inspect the cowl...i could only check the vinyl floor under the dash for water stains. i saw very minor evidence of water stains, but that could have happened when the owner left the window down on the passenger side during a rain storm sometime in the past. is it as simple as removing the cowl (slit metal piece between hood and windshield) to inspect the "drains" for rust?

i will say that the area i am from (Montana) is not a rust-prone part of the US, so putty in the rear qtrs that may be hiding more rust is not likely.

any estimates as to how much the parts i listed previously would cost me? parts list: hood, grill, new vinyl "carpet", front and rear seat upholstery, and a couple other small interior pieces. i just want it to be a nice daily driver, not a show car...well, maybe a local show/parade or two :)

i'll tell you a little secret...i have a 1967 fairlane gta w/ 390 4v and c6 auto that has only 56k original miles on it (i bought it from an 83 yo lady when i was 17). i am almost afraid to drive that car because it is so nearly perfect...so, i am in the market for a maverick that i can make look nice and drive w/o much concern about getting run-into by some idiot because there were 400K 1970 mavs made and lots of parts still available.

3. berto

berto New Member

well,

i thought i would follow up with any of you that have been following this thread.

the fellow selling the 1970 maverick that i have been posting about didn't call me last week...so i called him. turns out his wife talked him into donating the car since he couldn't find anyone to buy it for $300. i would have paid him $200, but maybe it's best this way since some charitable organization will benefit...although i am guessing that the charitable organization will not get more than $100 for it, maybe that'll help someone out somewhere in the world.

i'll keep my eyes peeled for any other mavs that look like good daily drivers or light-duty remodels.

thanks to all for your input!

berto