torino tails: anyone seen it done?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by xpsnake, Oct 18, 2004.

1. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Thanks ratio411, I needed that information. TRW is a new name to me. Are there cams good or do I need to look for a better cam company like CompCams?

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Have you ever looked at a base 69 Camaro tail light?
    They are VERY close to the 70-71 base Torino lights that you are interested in.
    The big difference is that the corners are slightly rounded compared to the Ford part. I have always thought those would be a better alternative to the Torino parts.
    After some thought, I remember seeing a pic of a Maverick with the Torino lights, only they were mounted 'upside down' from their stock orientation. Driver's side light on passenger side, with the bottoms up near the trunk lid, and so on for the other lamp.
    Looked unique to say the least.
    Dave

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    Cougar XR7 tails...

4. mavman427

mavman427 has entered the building.

Vehicle:
    1971 Mav with all the trimmings....302 Auto, Custom buckets, Power Brakes, A/C, PS, Grabber hood, spoiler, and mirrors.
    I agree with Seth, a set of Cyclone lights would look pretty sick on a mav or comet. It would be even cooler on a comet, because it's real similar to the stock ones. As for my preference in tail lights, I've always been kind of partial to these.

Attached Files:

5. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    wish I could get a set of those brazillian ones.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    There was someone here selling them recently... $65 a pair if memory serves. They had many sets.

Check ebay too, have seen them there.

Dave

7. streetrod77

streetrod77 Member

Vehicle:
    77 comet
    Hey Dave, Is a TRW cam a good cam to used or is CompCam better? I have never heard about TRW.

8. mavman427

mavman427 has entered the building.

Vehicle:
    1971 Mav with all the trimmings....302 Auto, Custom buckets, Power Brakes, A/C, PS, Grabber hood, spoiler, and mirrors.
    XPsnake, I might be able to attain another set here pretty soon, if I can, I'll sell them to you.

9. jhossrock

jhossrock Member

Vehicle:
    1972 4dr. maverick
    just wondering what software you used to mount the lites on your car. i need to do that with my front and rear bumpers. i need them to be chrome. and if i could do that with a program would be great. i need the pictures with the chrome to get a antique plates in pa.

10. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I bought a set of the Torino lights a little while back but decided not to use them because they were a little taller than the raised portion on the Mav tail light panel and I didn't want to have to modify the panel that much...however I wound up putting the 68 Shelby panel in with the Shelby lights and I'm so glad I did...the car looks great. I do have a set of the Torino lights if anyone is interested but you will have to do a little more than just cutting the hole bigger.

11. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    TRW is a VERY LARGE international company that has been around for a VERY long time.
    They do lots of different things, one of which is mass produce automotive parts. Mostly oem parts and oem replacement parts. They are very boring about performance parts IMO as they don't make alot of those. They were popular in the 70s-80s for their forged pistons, but have faded.
    As far as having a good usable product, I have no doubt that they make good stuff. Being such a large outfit with so many ventures, the cam grinds may be a little dated compared to cam companies that evolve quicker and research all the time, but it's NOT a big deal for the general public like us. The Comp Magnum cams have been around for decades and are still great for the street. Now if you were racing every weekend for a living, and you constantly rebuild your engine for that extra .1 hp, then older cams are not for you.
    Sorry so long.
    In short... Yes, TRW is okay IMO.
    Dave