Trunk and Door Jam Leak?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 29EssexRat, May 26, 2020.

1. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    So, been raining non-stop for the past couple of days, and finally stopped so had some time to work on the car, just to be accompanied by a couple of water leaks. First water leak is in the trunk area, both seams at the top right and left corners on the inside of the trunk, right below where the glass goes are leaking. Rear window gasket or something other? Second leak is the driver's side door jam, had the panel removed for a bit of wiring, and noticed right behind the door latch is leaking. Looks like there's a body seam where the rear quarter panel meets the door jam, right below the quarter/wing window. Not sure if there's a sealant used there or not. This car's turning out to be a real rust bucket, fixing what I can, and more just pops up! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

DGD likes this.
  2. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Can't really tell from the pics. I'd say it's most likely a leaking window gasket, but it could be seam sealer in the forward corners of the trunk lid channel. I'd try to deal with it ASAP, looks like the rust monster is already trying to get started.

3. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    Yeah, photos are hard to take, let along my phone is crappy. Where's the seam sealer supposed to be? I don't see any seam sealer around my trunk area, whether that was sanded off or not from prior paint jobs, idk.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Sometimes the trunk gasket gets smashed so flat that it no longer seals. I had that problem on one of my cars. New trunk gasket fixed that.

DGD likes this.
  5. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    Has a new trunk gasket, still leaking :(

6. DGD

DGD Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

Don't give up ! Mine looks the same. Just grab it by the Shorthorns and fix one leak at a time. Your trunk seal looks like it is making good contact with the trunk lid but the trunk body lip ?? sealed ?

Jaybee likes this.