Trunk panels . . .

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mashori, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Scott H!
    I did'nt know they had peel & stick in the home imp stores; I don't recall ever seeing any. I use to go there a lot but don't have much reason to frequent them now. I will ck it out.
    I bought a roll 50' roll and will use all that first -- I put it in the entire car xcept the doors. I will do doors and use what's left for the trunk. I missed ur point initially on the easy removal; after reading it a second time I get the point -- that's something to consider
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    Mojo,

You might have to look for it or ask a sales droid where it's located. When I first read about it on a thread on here, I started looking for it and couldn't find it. I finally found a hardware store that specializes in providing parts for Mobile Homes that carried it. From what I understand, it's used for insulating duct work in houses.

If you're really wanting to get as much of the road noise out that you can, make sure you get the rear wheel well on both the compartment and trunk side as completely covered as you can.

A friend of mine told me to completely cover the wheel well to kill all the road noise and I was skeptical since I put a strip on it like was recommended by the manufacturer and thought it sounded good like it was. Once I finished the job of covering it, it was like night and day. I never realized how much noise was sent into the cabin of the car by rocks and debris hitting the wheel well until after I covered it with Dynamat.

-Scott H.

3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    img_1990_original.jpg img_1992_original.jpg img_1995_original.jpg Hi Mashori :
    Heres a few photos of the trunk panels I mentioned earlier. The channel you see at the bottom is painted black now and blends in much nicer. Hope this helps.Cometized

4. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Mr. Comitezed!

I like that - no other way to say it. Real nice job >> looks professional.
    Im going to do mine as soon as I get some of my other mechanical issues resolved.
    Are those raised panels? Are they coverd w\ vinyl? What kind of carpet covering the floor? I like it >> Got to do mine. Thanks for pic's >>>>Mojo

5. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Cpt. Bondo!

Thanks for ur input. Im going to take ur advice. I coverd the wheelwells on the interior when I did the rear seat area. I have'nt done the wells in the trunk, they will be the first thing I do when I can resume the process. I did that area completely after cleaning off the surface rust and painting everything I cud, then applied peel & stick. 10-4 on covering for ductwork - I'll ck it out.

6. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Trunk Panels

Mr. RadMav!
    How abt some pic's of the trunk? I'd be interested in getting some ideas. :dance:

7. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Trunk Panels

Hi Mojo:
    Yes they're raised. Tom McFadded of "Bitchin Stitchin" did the panels for me and after we got the shape we wanted , he covered them with a sheet of foam , then relieved some of it , glued it to the fiberboard and then covered the panels with black leather. The carpet is indigo black and I'll get the brand name if you'd like . Tom installed the carpeting also after he covered all the innner fender , and trunk areas with dynamat.
    The panels are lightweight , and very flexible which helps when you are inserting the panels , or removing them for whatever reason . They also retain their shape when in place. I'm pleased you like the work. I think it adds a lot to the cosmetic value of the trunk area and neatens it up somewhat. :) Cometized

8. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    Those look good! Thank you for posting the pictures, they're giving me a couple of ideas for the trunk of the Comet now.

There is one thing I would change though...

They would be in MY car! :D

-Scott H.