Unknown Gasoline Leak

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jony, Jan 26, 2016.

1. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have used the gas filters with the GLASS so one can see the filter. They leak as well. Get an all metal filter.

71gold likes this.
  3. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 5.0L 302 v8 NA
    I will buy the suggested filter later and when I replace it I will check the gasket at the same time! I will get back to everyone after I check the carburetor and filter! It will take a few days!

4. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    So I finally installed the new fuel filter from Summit Racing and tested it out the entire week! Even the it was replaced the leak is still there and it even looks like there is more than usual. I also checked the carburetor seal and the carburetor itself to see if it was bolted on properly. everything was fine but I'm thinking that it is more the carburetor seal because the seal took the shape of the carburetor not the intake manifold!

5. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    Just a thought, but how about moving the coil and mounting it to the front of the head to get it away from the fuel line. Second, I don't know that I've ever seen a carb made by Weiand. It looks like you have a Weiand street warrior intake and maybe an Edelbrock carb. I've never dealt with leaky Edelbrock carbs as my cars all have Holleys. Maybe someone else can chime in. - Matt

6. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I had the same thought of mounting it there but the spark plug that connects to the ignition coil keeps popping out and i would have to buy new ones. I will try it though, later! I am going to change my carb to a Holley in the future but that'll have to wait until I get the money for it! Before I do any of that do you have an example of where on the head to mount it because I don't want to mess anything up!

7. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    If you have the Edelbrock carb, it seems that they can leak if the floats are set too high, gasket could be leaking between the top and main body, and could potentially be caused by too much fuel pressure at the carb. Just some things to check out. The could can mount with the stock bracket to the front of the head with one of the extra threaded holes. Here's a couple pics although not to good, but you should get the idea. - Matt

image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Are you sure that it is gas that is leaking and not oil from your ignition coil?

9. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I had a similar issue shortly after I got my car. It was leaking fuel from the carb. I found the problem to be a deformed gasket in one of the Holley fuel bowls. This was on a carb that was practically new. Once I removed the bowl, was obvious this was at least part of the problem. Replaced the gasket ,solved that issue. After you check the ign. coil, that might be something to look at. I know you have a different carb setup, but cud be similar problem.

10. 7D2 Grabber

7D2 Grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT, 1967 F100 short bed, 2008 Z06
    Edelbrock sells a hard line that goes from the carb to pump that is pretty nice and should be well under $100 with a filter. I'm guessing there is a leak where you connect the line to the carb. This leak will follow the line and drip by the filter, causing you to believe the filter is leaking. There should be a nipple on the fitting from the carb to line currently in place.

I also had issues with a plastic filter before. The plastic filter melted which caused a leak and then a spark ignited the fuel causing damage to my newly painted 68' Cutlass convertible.

11. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Nice, where did you get that export brace and hood hinges?

12. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I did replace the fuel filter from a plastic to a metal one but I didn't know that the ignition coil could leak oil! I think that might be it but it could also be mixed with the tuning on the carburetor. If it is oil leaking from the coil then I will change and that would explain why it is always to slippery like it was covered in grease! I also checked and the carb. is a Carter AFB and every time after I turn on the car a minute or two later it begins to go from ~800 RPM to ~1500 RPM maybe ~2000 and would have to rev it a few times to bring it back down a bit! One thing for sure is that I will buy new spark plugs, ignition coil, and a gasket!

13. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I just had to replace my coil a month or two back as it was leaking as well.

14. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    That's a picture of a Mustang engine bay. the idle issue is probably your choke setting causing the fast idle until it's warmed up. Probably could use adjusting. - Matt

15. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    While I wait for the ignition coil I ordered to come in, does anyone know how many gallons a '72 Maverick has and how many MPG it gets? I fill the tank up when ever I have a quarter left and it is roughly a 10 gal. total, is that right?