Valance-Mounted Reverse Lights

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by facelessnumber, Mar 25, 2010.

?

Install the reverse lights?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2010.
  1. Do it!

74.2%
  2. Leave it alone!

25.8%
  1. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I don't like valance mounted reverse lights, on any car.

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    You have so many thin horizontal elements happening now, that getting a small round lens in the mix stands out. I think Earl has the right idea, but I would still like to see something thinner (to be in scale with the valance).

If you do want to use the ones you have, I vote outboard ... that keeps with making the elements horizontal ... but I think those are too large for the valence too.

If you threw exhaust tips in the mix, that would be something else to clutter it up. Your car looks really clean as is.

I made all four of my lens on my Comet into taillights. Haven't had reverse lights in a long time ... felt that having more brake lights was far more important. These cars are not lit as well as new cars.

If they can't hear me backing up, they are stone deaf ... my car has a pretty rowdy exhaust note.

Maybe get a "nice-sounding" warning beeper ... good luck finding that ... I am pretty sure they are designed so that you hate the way they sound ... intentionally annoying... :rolleyes:

Or ...how about a deep male droid voice ... "Backing up ...Backing up ... Out of my way @#%$#$%^%% !!!!... Backing up ..." :thumbs2: :rofl2:

3. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    which mustang backup lights would fit the rear valance better - 65-66 or 67-68? anyone have any experiences with that?

4. facelessnumber

facelessnumber Drew Pittman

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    Thanks for the insightful response. I will plunder the junkyard a bit more before I commit to these lights. I think what's holding me back is, when I look at the Photoshop pics, both positions look "good" to me, but I can't say they look like an improvement. The lights don't look out of place, but they don't "complete" the overall look they way I think they should. I can't step back and say, "Yeah, that's exactly what it needed!" like when I did the scoop, grille, tail lights, tint, wheels, etc...

5. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I had considered the Camaro lights for mine like Earls but after seeing them I dont think I like them that much. (No offense Earl and thanks for being the first) I like the first option of having them close together. I am leaning that direction for mine but with black bezels instead. I really like FAN2488's with the blacked out chrome on the tails and bumper. I think it will look good on your car.

6. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    I like it, go for it

7. smiggey

smiggey Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick, 89 F-150, 92 K1500
    I was thinking about the 2010 camaro reverse lights. they are about 3/4 inch tall and 2 1/2 inch wide, easy to conceal, less cluttering and definitely brighter than the originals. but back to the valence mount... i'de have to say to the far side or centered with the tail light is the best option.

8. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Mustang back up lights

Hi Tody:
    I installed backup lights in three Comets with the first one in 2000. The backup lights are a 1968 Mustang and could be ordered from NPD in Ocala ,FL. 1-800-874-7575 ( Or there are other locations throughout the States) .
    When you order you will recieve the wiring complete with plugs , lenses , and gaskets for the lenses and the housings. I have the step by step instructions for installing these online if you feel you may need them. I don't think it matters too much "where" they are installed on the valance as far as being useful is concerned. Center , or otherwise is a matter of individual choice. MY backup lights are a welcome addition to the car and they work just fine. Wish you success .. :) Cometized

9. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    thanks for the reply! i'll order from mustangsunlimited again soon (shipping over here is always a killer) and will include them. my main concern is not the looks but the turn signal lights. german officials require yellow turn signals in the back on any car after 1970. so i thought i might use the original backup lights as turn signals and add some backup lights on the valance.

funny thing is that i was actually thinking of your cars when posting this question. i watch the youtube video once in a while to get motivated to work on my car again :thumbs2:

10. t.ramsey

t.ramsey Member

Vehicle:
    both
    I was just thinking about this the other day and thought it would look good. It would look better of they were centered with the tail lights.

11. facelessnumber

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    Sadly that's the one place I can't put them, unless perhaps I chop them up and find a way to flush-mount them.

12. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I think its much cleaner looking without them. I wouldnt if it was my car. MTO up here doesnt give a crap about reverse lights. Not a safety issue they have told me personally.

13. jtcomet

jtcomet Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick 302 ,70 Grabber, 69 Mustang Fastback, 05 Mustang V6, 04 Mach 1, 92 T-Bird V8, 77 Ford F-250, 64 Comet AFX replica
    picture_054_original.jpg I used 60 ford reverse lights sunk and tunneled in on mine. picture_055_original.jpg

14. facelessnumber

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber
    Hey, that looks good! (y)

15. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Very nice. I like them sunk into the panel, they look like they really belong there instead of just a stuck on after thought. Loving the Caprice tail lights as well.