Vibration damage?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by spaste_out, Jun 6, 2005.

1. spaste_out

spaste_out New Member

Vehicle:
    Baby blue and customized 1974 Maverick Sedan!
    I'm thinking of having a sub, amp, and four killer speakers in my new 74 mav sedan (don't ask me what size, I have no idea). This system was previously in a honda, and was powerful enough to crack the windsheild. just wondering if anyone had heard of this happening in a mav?

2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I would think rolling the windows down about an inch would work wonders.

Common sense goes a long way here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  3. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    I spend my time and money on other things in the car. I used to have 2-15s, 2-12s, 4-4s and 4 tweets with a punch 45 and another amp that I cant remember the name of, but it pushed 600amps, no problems, except for theives. Now days I would much rather hear the sound of my fine tuning. [​IMG]

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    bluegene; just try and not turn it up to max. Lower volume would work wonders for it...and probably save your ears!:huh:

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    earl, earl, earl, :hmmm:

...frank...:bouncy:

6. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    What cha say!!! [​IMG]

(wrong guy earl, LOL)
    May I suggest some coffee when you wake up, before you decide you are able to do any posting?:biglaugh:
    Just funnin earl, have a GREAT DAY!:bananaman

7. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    UHHHHHHH yeah!!!!!! Sorry about that! Spaste_out; read my last post. Not gonna post early in the morning any more...without coffee or something a bit stronger!!!!!!!!! :huh: :coco: bluegene; you have a good one too!

8. BIGbully

BIGbully Maverick Maniac

I doubt you will have any windshield cracking issues in a Maverick. Way back in my youth (late 80's) I had (4) 15in subwoofers in a wall in my 74 2door Mav with a 1200 watt Earthquake amplifier. No cracked windshield. My car-audio store runs a stock interior 1967 Fiat station wagon in Db Drag racing events and it has Twenty-four batteries and 4-4000watt amps and 2-15inch subwoofers in a wall and it has never cracked a windshield either. My bet is that if the Honda had a crack in it, there was a chip or small road crack in it before that, although I am sure the stereo sure hurried it along some.(y)

9. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    maybe he hit the windsheild with the radio when he was taking it out?

I very well doubt that any stereo can break a windshield. I find that very hard to believe.The unibody cars nowadays require the windshield for frame and body stability which in turn puts alot of stress on the windshield glass. I think it would be more likely cracked due to body stress more than a stereo. Sounds to me like someone has conned you into buy thier stereo.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  10. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    Extreme temps out side combined with extreme temps inside IE cold out side hot air form defrost, can cause tiny imperfections to devlop cracks, last winter I watched a crack develop then runn slowly accros the entire windshield, Turns out there was a tiny divit in the windshield not even visible, you could barely feel it with a fingernail, but it was neough to crack in cold whether with hot air blowing on it, Hot air in the car will do that to on a very hot day. I'd hate to be in a car with decibles loud enough to crack glass .. I think an eardrum would be damaged as well.

11. BIGbully

BIGbully Maverick Maniac

You can believe 100% that a powerful enough stereo can break and even obliterate a windshield. I have seen it several times and have seen where the judges will make the competitor cover the windshield with a heavy blanket. With some systems yielding 40 and 50 thousand watts and more, it is not that uncommon in sound pressure competitions but not a normal street car. You're talking about huge enclosures and many,many batteries with tens of thousands of watts.

At the shop we have an "Extreme" Class Nissan pickup truck that weighs over 12,000 lbs. Yes, 12,000, it is filled with (60) 80lb bags of cement and 1/2" plate steel. It has one inch thick lexan windows with steel frames and doors that bolt in place during competition and (24) 16volt batteries powering 16 amplifiers and four 15 inch woofers. Sound pressure is a powerful thing and competition levels are closing in on the 180 db range. It's just like drag racing with sound, and its equally expensive, just a differnt kind of fun. Its not just power and strength but lots of math and fabrication techniques, if anyone gets a chance to see a dB drag racing competition you should go, you will be amazed.

12. Burlap1

Burlap1 fat lazy truckdriver

Urbana ny-wine country finger lakes wines are best
    Vehicle:
    1983 f-150 4wd,1971 cougar parts car,1973 maverick parts car,1970 maverick formerly a gramma's grocery getter,1984 f-250 460 powered,1976 f-350 u-haul,and some chevy's
    i have a friend who shattered the gym windows back in the early 80's with his dj sound system. that was real expensive.:yup:those sound systems shake my semi when they go by anymore a bit ridicilis if ya ask me.:huh:

13. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    yes i believe those would do that being on the extreme side of things but we are talking about a 4 speaker sound system with a sub amp......I highly doubt it

14. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I'd be more worried about hearing loss than windshield loss.

15. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    have to agree with ya there lol