Vinyl roof material/source, 1973 Maverick.

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by BroknNx, Nov 6, 2020.

1. BroknNx

BroknNx Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    Hi all,

I’m doing a bit of work on my 73, and the time has come to address the old vinyl roof. The previous owner removed all the original vinyl except whatever material was beneath the windshield trim. It appeared to be brown. The roof skin beneath is heavily surface rusted, and I’ll be using Eastwood products to deal with that mess.

My question is, do any companies make direct replacement vinyl roofs for our cars? I’m not ‘restoring’ the car, so changing the color to black isn’t really a problem. The vinyl roof is ‘Mohawk’ style, meaning it has the two trim strips down the sides of the roof, and the material doesn’t extend into the drip rails. If nobody makes a direct replacement, I may look into the 70 cougar houndstooth pattern vinyl in black/tan, as I think it would look kinda radical and unique.

2. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I believe those were referred to as Halo tops. They are nice because they do not have any seams in the vinyl. If you can source the material, which should be easy, fitting and cutting it yourself should be fairly simple for a Halo top.

3. BroknNx

BroknNx Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick
    Thanks for the info on the Halo top. I guess if it’s simple, there’s no reason to have a direct replacement!