Warning...this is ugly

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by riporter, Feb 2, 2004.

1. elliot

elliot Member

Vehicle:
    76 4 door 347 paxton and t56
    the outside of you`r car looks better than mine though and I don`t have any dents . are you gonna put some drain holes in the bottom of the door ?

2. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    You bet Elliot...I don't want to EVER have to do this again...the holes will go in after we put the last skim coat on:clap:

3. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Riporter, I give credit where credit it do!!! Good job, but I think I would have found some doors and them shipped to me. Then again, I don't have a welder etc.

4. Hanible

Hanible Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 2 door Maverick 170 I6
    Mental or physical for you not the car

ps those doors are in better shape than the ones i have you want to fix um for me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

5. MavMark

MavMark Mega Modifier

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber, 351w,EFI,A/C, RRS Rack, Power Everything :)
    I ended up having a new vinyl roof put on my '72 Grabber. I was not able to find a source for a vinyl top, so the local place I took it to created the top for me with vinyl with nearly the identical grain. If it is different from stock, I can't tell!

[​IMG]

6. BIGbully

BIGbully Maverick Maniac

Sainthood?

You must have the patience of a saint to repair doors like that. Makes me feel lucky about the few little spots o' cancer I've been fretting about on my project.:clap: You Go!

7. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    Here are the doors now...2 down...2 to go..fortunately the other 2 aren't quite as bad.... The rest of the restoration is being posted in the main forum under "Comet Restoration progress"

8. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    no offense riporter but you better go back and fix the rust on the new metal that you mudded over or you will have to do it all over again

9. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    None taken Grabber...by the time the last skim coat was sanded out the spot was long gone, then etching primer was applied, 2 coats, then 3 coats of the color.

10. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    hey nice job there!.... just wondering did you change your car to a floor shifter? or that LDO come that way? didn't notice the bumber change though.

but again nice work on the doors!

11. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    It came that way M.M. as part of the LDO package, something strange about the car though, it was made 6/72 but it has the big front door handles and the bumper gaurds...didn't think they started those until 73'???

12. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber
    sounds like a deal........must have left that step out in your picture setup.......looks good though. glad im not the only person raising their car from the dead lol

13. Grabber75

Grabber75 Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick Grabber

technically that is a '73 by fords standards......remember their assembly years are from 6th month to 6th month not jan. to jan. i took autobody in school and learned that when ordering parts for cars you always go by the month if it was built after 06/01 it is considered a 73, this doesnt always ring true either though, depends mostly on how many parts they had left over for the '72's alot of companies would use up most of the overstock before moving on to the next model year

if you think these are bad you should go back and research the old torinos, camaro's and cudas and such that the big three built for nascar and stuff like that. back then they had to produce so many of the parts to be considered stock for stock car racing.....most of the stuff they never actually kept track of they just slappped them on the cars....at least ford had changed the vin's a bit (the well known "k" and "r" codes) chevy never kept track of their cars too well, a friend of mine has a 69 z-28 that would be just another camaro if it wernt for a brass plate on the cowl that says its a z. if it was ever removed and lost then you could never prove it was a z model from the vin at all