Weatherstrip installation

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by William623, Nov 26, 2014.

1. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    I was looking around on the forum for a bit but I couldn't find much on weatherstrip installation. I just bought all new seals for my car and was looking for any advice/tips on the installation seeing as I have never done it before. I will be installing all seals personally except for the front and back glass, those I will have a professional put in. Any recommendations or guides will be a lot of help and what is a good adhesive to use? Thank you!

2. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Have fun. The installation is not terribly difficult, but the replacement weather stripping is extremely hard, so your doors won't want to close without slamming them. One tip I can offer that I wish I had know about sooner, is to drill or poke air relief holes in your trunk lid seal, using the original seal as a guide for where the holes should be.

3. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    Ok I'll make sure to do that! Also I know some of the seals are held on by retainers or clips, but which ones do you need to glue, if any?

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I may be opening a can of worms here but I believe most of the hard shutting door issue is because the door stripping are being installed on wrong door... I had the same issue with mine when I bought it(had new strips already installed) and was still a problem at two years later... When the stripes were installed I tried to align doors because they were hanging out at bottoms and only way that was going to happen was remove the weather stripping...

If one looks at the strips they are not made like the orig and instead of the original V are mfgd in more of a L shape and should overlap the body strip... If it's upside down(on wrong door), it does create a V that's going to be near impossible to compress... One of mine had almost pulled the end mounting end tab from the rubber because it was in such a bind...

I'm yet to buy new strips to be sure my theory works but there is enough left of the ones that were on it that I can try out to see... Keep thinking I'll get to it but at moment I'm rebuilding rear brakes including new rear parking brake cables... Also I have the fan off to install a automatic controller...

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    tip...use black adhesive...
    ...push the seal into itself as it's being installed (glued). this allows for shrinkage later without pulling the seams apart.
    ...make sure the door hinges are in good shape...no sagging at all.
    to check them...open the door and pick up on the door handle and see if there is any lift.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014