Welding

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MavMike, Sep 6, 2005.

1. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    You will end up with a series of tacks that eventually will make a solid weld. You tack in alternate spots to keep the heat down in one area until all the gaps are filled. You will have to grind the welds (tacks) down and check for areas that need to be filled several times before it is a solid piece of metal. Could be a bit teadious at times.

2. MavMike

MavMike Mile High Mav

Vehicle:
    2 '70 Mavs, 1 '71 Mav, 1 '74 Grabber
    Well, time and patience I've got. :) Sounds do-able if I can get the alignment right.

3. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
  4. ChrisT

ChrisT New Member

Vehicle:
    no Maverick yet
    If you do purchase a welder, PLEASE follow all saftey precautions! I unplugged what I thought was my mig welder, although i had actually unplugged my chop saw(brain cramp). I took the cover off to changed the spool and ZAP! 110v of current doesn't feel like a massage; lemme tell ya!

5. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I have the Lincoln weldpac 100 Also. I love it. I have'nt gotten the mig kit yet so all I use is the flux core wire but it works pretty good by itself. I've obnly had about one week of training back at the power company many years ago.
    Wleding with the flux core or Mig is probably the easiest to pick up and learn yourself.
    My welds don't always look great but they hold fine.
    The little Lincoln is a good way to get into welding cheaply and still be able to weld many things around the house and shop.
    I am still amazed sometimes at how many times I use this thing. It'll weld some pretty dang thin stuff also.
    clint

6. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    Knowing alittle something about welding that statment baffles me. Even with the power switched on the spool is not charged unless the trigger is pulled at which time the spool would rotate. Unless you are talking about touching something else while changing the spool with the power on.

I always change the spool with the power off then turn the power on so I can use the drive wheels to feed the wire back to the gun.

7. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Some old cheap welders had power constant without having to pull the trigger. I had an old Craftsman that was like that.

8. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I had an off the wall brand welder that someone gave me once that was that way. It was an old pos that went straight to the dump.

9. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i never welded a day in my life until i got the floorboards from a 71 mustang and i cut and fit them to fit the mav..... i knew it would be hard...but i had no idea...

it is a pain...and i got a good sunburn from it... all i had was a hold style face shield...i did cover my arms and what not so i didnt get "slag burned" at all... but after iw as done i toook it to a shop who welded it in better...and i must say i am glad that i did that...not sure if i had any strenght in my welds..

i did weld some tubing together and that came out perfect ...i was surprised....so yes...there is a BIG difference in welding stock solid materials....but as far as sheets of metal goes...it is a PAIN IN THE BUTT..

get some experience first...if you warp the quarter panel, you will have 10 times more work to do..

good luck

maverick 75....you said a welder was 250...where at?? the cheapest miller i found was 399