What did you do to your Maverick or Comet today

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ptpdub, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    Moved the Sprint out to my work area. Time to get something done, two years sitting is long enough...

71gold likes this.
  2. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Ordered a new 3" inch diameter Drive Shaft . Checked on the unit in the Maverick with a 'dial indicator ' and found it to be thirty thousandths our in the 'center' .. way too much . Fifteen is tolerable .. but thirty is out of the question. This would account for a lot of 'vibration' . Making a 4000 mile trip to attend and run the Hot Rod POWER TOUR in two weeks and then back to Florida when finished .. Want to dial in the CARS for the trip. Dialing ' ME ' in is next .
    ( Lotsa' walking and standing .. the Driving and the different ' Stops ' is the FUN part )
    Cometized
    (Chip)

Scooter71105 likes this.
  3. Scooter71105

Scooter71105 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Power Tour is on my bucket list.

4. Scooter71105

Scooter71105 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Somebody put a link to a parts place and I thought I saved the link and now I can't find it, either here or on my computer. I looked thru this parts house web site and they had every small part you could think of. Who was it?

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Scooter :
    Its a real Grin ! I hope I'am able to make some more after this one ... If you have opportunity .... DO IT !!
    You"ll never forget it !! Imagine 1800 cars in ONE AREA ... All of them specially built and different . They 'used ' to take a group photo of the Longhaulers at the completion of the run but it's grown so large they stopped it .. they said there were too many people to get in one photo .. ( Baloney .. I think they should get a Wide Lens ..) .. Anyway .. they have photographers at EVERY STOP .. and when you're pulling into the parking area .. a guy on the side ask's you to slow down and a guy a little farther down the road is Taking Your Picture of You and Your Car and then when you eventually reach the cameraman someone near hands you a ticket with a number on it .. When you're in the stop area where you "punch" in they have a stand that has all of the photos taken on the entire run placed on computer screens which you can scan at your liesure at each stop and your ticket will identify you .. If you LIKE the photo .. they will Frame It with a nice logo that says LONGHAULERS or whatever title you choose . I have a wall FULL of these framed photos with the Year and the ' Stops of the Run Listed ' .. some with my Sisters when I took them on a portion of the tour . I always got THEM a framed picture also.. They enjoy that . Hope you're able to check a HRPT off your list eventually.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

mavgrab302 likes this.
  6. Scooter71105

Scooter71105 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Power Tour came thru Shreveport LoUiSiAna several years ago. My wife drove out to the drag strip north of town and saw all the cars. I was driving a MG Midget I rebuilt. I learned a lot on that car, being it was my first to redo. The Maverick is almost strip down, just have to remove the tail light and bumper. Then I'm ready to start sanding. Waiting on my floor pans I order. Susan is almost excited as I am about redoing the cart.

7. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I can only hope it's still going when I finish my car! Will certainly be a long hauler, I doubt it will ever run through Washington but you never know.

8. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    did some more wiring for the Taurus fan. Soldered on some end connectors and fabbed one out of washers for the fan ground. Didnt have a suitable end for that fat wire!

Attached Files:

71gold and mavgrab302 like this.
  9. Scooter71105

Scooter71105 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I can't find where we were talking about the stand on the windshield. I don't anything that looks like the pic I was shown. Here's what I have. I guess just a different variation

Attached Files:

10. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Scooter:
    Here's some pics of some of the HRPT memorabilia I've collected through the years . One photo is of Vic EDLEBROCK's Daughter ' Cammy (neat name eh ?)" taken in Springfield , Illinois on one of the runs . I hope you're able to attend one of these runs . I'm sure you'd really enjoy yourself .
    Cometized
    (Chip)
    IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1808.JPG IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1811.JPG IMG_1812.JPG

mavgrab302, mojo and Scooter71105 like this.
  11. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    That's a great wall of memories! I just calculated the trip for 2017 and I would be close to 5,300 miles round trip, that would rule out my wife riding along, she isn't a road trip kind of person. I would have to buy her a plane ticket and pick her up at an airport along the way!

12. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    From Washington State it would be a real ' HIKE ' and I can understand your bride wanting to take a ' Plane ' On the 2006 HRPT my Sister flew into Ohio from Illinois and she made the entire tour WITH US !! It was a real ' Hoot ' and she never forgot it .. She and I have a framed picture of her waving at the cameraman at one of the stops.. ON THIS HRPT, it will be 3,205 Miles from Florida to START of the run .. Making the Run .. and returning home to Florida from Ohio . This too is a lot of mileage .. but the LAST tour we made in the Comet was 4415 miles.. I realize that it's difficult for some to make a run like this .. There are the days off from work .. Expenses for Lodging, Food , and Fuel and the desire to make the run in the ' First Place ' . I've made several over the years and it's always a wonderful experience !! There are MANY other folks that make ALL of the Tours ... I don't know HOW ..But they DO ..No two tours ALIKE . Anyway .. Looking forward to the trip.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

13. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Painted my dash

Attached Files:

Tannersg1 likes this.
  14. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    The mileage and time off isn't going to be an issue, it's a bucket list item so it will happen!!! If I can make sure the car is comfortable she"ll be up for part of the ride, the biggest hang up is a car that doesn't run or drive. That will change though, I'm about 85% convinced I'm selling my Harley and dumping the money into the Maverick. There are just too many inattentive drivers and my back/neck issues make it uncomfortable plus it's been twenty years since I have had a fun car to drive!

15. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    not the HHRT but Effie, Patches and I made the MCG meet in Joplin Mo. and then from there went to the MCCI meet in Washington DC the next weekend... 3,300 miles-11 days. that was part of the 28 states Patched has been in so far...
    a pic. of the car after unloading it after the trip...this is why I told Effie I need 400+ HP...LOL
    :drive:...:chirp:

Attached Files: