What did you do to your Maverick or Comet today

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ptpdub, Feb 21, 2011.

1. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Know the feeling !! I sold my 88 Softtail to a Doctor in Denmark in 1999 .. There are WAY too many idiots out there texting, talking on a cell , and in general JUST not paying attention !! I got my Comet almost twenty years ago and I've had as much fun with the car as I did with the bikes. I put a roll cage in the Comet since that lady talking on her cell phone center-punched me in my 75 Comet on the way to church . There were NO skid marks indicating she never even touched her Brakes. Trapped me in the car with the clutch and brake pedals pinning my legs to the center tunnel .. When the FD arrived they climbed in beside me and said .. Sorry pal .. I'm going to have to cut the roof off to get you out .. I said .. Do whatever you have to to mister, I'll sit tight . Broke both legs , they cut me out of the car , I got a helicopter ride to the hospital in Daytona Beach and when I woke up I had a steel rod in one leg and a bunch of screws to hold my ankle together and a full cast on the other one. When I got OUT of there I realized quickly that I didn't have the strength to hold up a bike without my left leg giving way.. So...... Cars it is !! Selling my 2002 Yamaha twin too. Still sitting under a cover at the back of the plant for the last seven years with all the bells and whistles and less than 3000 miles on the bike. I've really enjoyed the cars and I can understand how the other folks on this forum feel about ' theirs ' .. I like to say it's just a ' phase ' that I'm going through ... I've been going through it now for about 20 years so far.. I hope you are able to attend one of the HRPTs soon.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

RMiller likes this.
  2. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank:
    Now that's what I'd call " Creative Packing " !! I'm with you on the 400+. Do you think you'll ever convince Effie ?
    3300 miles is quite a haul .. ' Patches' must be put together right to make a run like that and make it back home with all that gear you were carrying .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I have been going through that phase since I was in diapers! My dad says I was born that way, ever since he can remember I was hyper focused on cars and motorcycles.

Part of my thoughts on the bike involve being able to have my wife along with me. We took a lunch ride a few years back and the weather went to hell fast, as we rode home there was a nasty side wind and she did not care for it. Once home we heard a guy on a parallel highway to the one we were on was blown into incoming traffic and was killed, that was the end for her riding days. She can ride in the car with me but will not side on the bike so a car it is.

4. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Bought a '75 mav as a donor. Has the power disk brakes up front and a nice 8" rear. Also the interior is nearly complete and in fair shape with the bucket seats, floor shift and AC components. interior is trim code PB which is the Blue LDO interior. Lots of good stuff for the '70, or I can convert this with the 70 parts that make it more of the grabber look with small bumpers. I have a grabber hood I bought locally so should be able to make one nice car out of the two. Both are Arizona cars so have virtually no rust. Taking the tow dolly to work tomorrow to go get it and bring it home. I'll add to my garage when I get a chance.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Tannersg1 likes this.
  5. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 C4 3.55 Tractionlok Granada disc brake conversion Small front bumper
    Wrapped my sport steering wheel with a Wheelskins leather cover. Turned out pretty nice except I was not real happy with the way. it fit around the spokes. Would have turned out better if I had trimmed the foam around the spokes a little but it is a decent wheel and I hated to cut it.

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    no pics...:huh:

7. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I second the motion! :ttiwwp:

8. HadaGrabberonce

HadaGrabberonce Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 C4 3.55 Tractionlok Granada disc brake conversion Small front bumper
    Sorry guys but posting pics is not one of my strong points.

9. orig72 grabber

orig72 grabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 72 Comet GT, 74 Comet GT
    20161230_140840.jpg 20170314_221436.jpg I did the body on my comet Gt, and the day before that, and the day before that, I fell like Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day, this is what it takes to make a rust free car straight, and its a Canadian car 20161230_140840.jpg 20170314_221436.jpg 20161230_140840.jpg 20170314_221436.jpg View attachment 113392 View attachment 113392

mavgrab302 likes this.
  10. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    2 pics a no show...:huh:

11. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    where do you pack/carry your gear on the...HHPT?
    Effie thinks she packs conservatively, we also do the laundry mats at least twice on the trip plus the motel/hotel washing machines...LOL
    here is a trailer I built for it once...Effie said it took something away from the car so I sold it (never used it).

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      205.9 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      189.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      372.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      219.5 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      176.6 KB
      Views:
  12. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Frank :
    That trailer was a neat looking rig . Someone is probably enjoying it . Packing for HRPT is simple for me .. I have ONE SMALL BAG for my shaving gear, toothpaste , etc. Another for the shorts , socks , and tees . I roll them tightly and put each 'change ' in a plastic bag to take up less space and after each day put the 'worn' clothes in the bag that previously held the original clothing. I Roll the Jeans up tightly .. and stack them in the trunk on one side before wearing .. and on the other side (pulled inside out ) when worn. The worn socks and underwear I ' pitch ' .. No need to carry those around in my trunk .. I wash the worn Jeans and Tee's when I get HOME . Usually as the tour progresses we accumulate a lot of ' goodies ' ... HRPT Tee's for the folks back home and a couple for ME ...( I take a list of colors and sizes to make sure I don't forget anyone ) .. The OTHER misc items picked up I jam into ANY open space available.. The fender wells in the trunk is a great place for 'soft' items .. I seldom purchase any 'hard' items like carbs, manifolds,and such so there's no need to cart them around. The ' Goodie Bags' we're given at each stop goes behind the 'passenger' bucket seat on the floor .. sometimes the back seat. It all seems to work out like this with a minimum of hassle.. been doing it this way for years now . Looking forward to NEXT MONTH when we roll these cars out for Another one !! Its a genuine pleasure to make these runs .. and I consider this time my ' Vacation' .
    I remember seeing you and your pal on one of the earliler tours so I 'know' YOU know what these are all about.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

13. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Removed AC thermostat switch from heater box and ordered NOS from Ebay. I thought I might have to loosen heater box to remove it, but was able to get it out w/o doing so. Hopefully, I will be able to get it back the same way. I don't know how or why I didn't replace when I had the box out for refurbishing 5 yrs ago. I replaced 2 vac. solenoids/motors but somehow didn't think about thermos switch -- Rookie mistake/oversight -- paying the price on my back now.
    Anyway, w/ all the money and time invested in a total upgrade to AC system, can't a let a little thing like that foul the works. I have the compressor wired to run constantly since last fall -- time to get it right...

mavgrab302 and 71gold like this.
  14. bomrat

bomrat Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 4dr 347 4r70w
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  15. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    P&P has 1/2 price sale this weekend. So, I went to get a 3G alt. and wires but failed for lack of 8m socket. Scored a set of 20 foot battery cables for 5 bucks. One day my battery will ride in the trunk. Will get the alternator in AM.

Attached Files: