What did you do to your Maverick or Comet today

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ptpdub, Feb 21, 2011.

1. HarleyGA

HarleyGA Member

Vehicle:
    73 Grabber,
    What did I do to my Maverick today? I cussed at it.

nidus and skipsgrabber like this.
  2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    now that I have my new fan shroud done I ordered a new Volvo fan to mount on it. I also have the Volvo relay to run it...:bouncy:
    I have it mounted in the car just need to hook it up to the MSD Atomic EFI controller...:yup:

William623 likes this.
  3. skipsgrabber

skipsgrabber Should've had wrenches instead of hands

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    Fixed the windshield washer,added coolant reservoir and fixed horn... :D

4. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    Installed my SPC upper control arms and Viking performance coil overs, I will be raising the car as I just wanted to see how low it can go

Attached Files:

groberts101 and mavgrab302 like this.
  5. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Put the sport mirrors from my '70 onto the '75 so I can start driving it, the single mirror from the '75 had a broken cable. Got it washed up and cleaned out. Started driving it in the neighborhood. Took the small front bumper off the '70 and started prepping it to transfer onto the '75.

Really waiting for the seatbelts to get back from rewebbing before I drive it a lot. Right now I have a seatbelt cobbled in from a donor vehicle, which would not be much good in a crash, but I won't go over 20 mph in the hood until this is back to normal, and fortunately my shop is in a rural area so I can see someone coming and just pull over until they pass.

Next up is creating a garage on here for the '75 as that will be my primary build.

6. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    pulled the wiring and relay out for the single speed fan. mounted my new Volvo fan and Volvo relay controller. hope to get it wired up tomorrow...temps in the 90s and humidity 90%...:whew:

7. skipsgrabber

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    It has shore been hot and humid here too Frank,I had to replace the fan on mine too... I had bought a fan of dubious merit,and it just didn't pull enough air for south alabama humid/hot... Replaced with a hayden 3700 and made an aluminum shroud,problem solved...

8. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    the Hayden 3700 is what I just replaced with the 2 speed Volvo fan.
    the Hayden 3700 with 1,400 CFM just wasn't cooling it for me.

9. skipsgrabber

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Changed carb,still a holley but smaller,1850-3 600 cfm... Runs better,bet it still overloads when I stop for more than 5 mins... Got 2 new back tires... Too much :chirp:...

10. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    I have, and continue, to get educated by my 1850. I had it working perfectly for about 20 miles. I worked my way up from 12 inches of vacuum to 16, and I think I will get more when my distributor is done. My exhaust went from eye watering to just slightly unpleasant, and the idle circuit is still working well (with carb off, set idle screw to expose about .040 of the transfer slot. turn the secondary stop screw about 1/2 turn to slightly open it. I read somewhere that these carbs run a tiny bit of fuel out of the secondary bowl to keep the gas fresh for those that open their secondary once a year? after this, adjust your idle with the impossible to reach secondary stop screw, or replace it with an allen head plug so you dont have to burn your fingers with the tiny, contorted screwdriver. If all is well, turning your mixture screws to lightly seated should stall, or almost stall your engine. this helped mine alot.) but it will not cruise anymore after 1 extended WOT run up a freeway ramp. I drove home, almost 4, miles on the idle circuit alone. Gonna pull that thing off, drain the gas, and worry about it next car season as this one is done for me.

11. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I'm going the same route. I really like Viking coil overs. Upper control arms will be SPC or Global west, I haven't made up my mind yet...

12. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Those coilovers look pretty sweet! I have the SPC arms but would like to mod them for a lower control arm mounted coil over setup like many of the kits offer.

13. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Got word my seat belts are on their way back... woo hoo.... can;t wait to see them like new.

Stripped the roller block down so I can get it to the machine shop. For a 200,000 mile motor it was in good shape.

PS>> did anyone notice we have over 10,000 posts on this thread? Looks like people are really getting some work done on their cars...(y):tiphat:

14. Streetnstrip

Streetnstrip Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Got my brake lights fixed finally replaced the whole turn signal switch with a new one from autokrafters

15. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Wound up unexpectedly up North at the shop this weekend. Since I was here, decided to see if I could take a slight bend out of the front bumper (Apparently someone tested that 5 mph monster). That didn't go as well as I wanted, but with a few shims at least it's even on the car. The steel backing tube was bent in where it bolts to the base on one side and I couldn't pull it out with the tools I had. Since the beast was off the car, went ahead and drilled out the bases for a 2" tuck. Looks a lot better all around than it did before. Small bumper won't go on until it's ready for paint as that bumper is actually in pretty bad shape and needs to be re-chromed or painted.