What did you do to your Maverick or Comet today

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ptpdub, Feb 21, 2011.

1. skipsgrabber

skipsgrabber Should've had wrenches instead of hands

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    Got it back from the transmission shop today, $1700 later,still has a bad AOD transmission... When I took it in,it had 1st and 2nd... Now the shift points are 1-2nd 35mph,2nd to 3rd 65 ish,and I,m not gonna see how fast it takes to get to overdrive,but 100 hasn't found it... Was told it had a shift kit installed at extra cost,shifts like a worn out powerglide... The C4 was full of metal and lucas but would chirp 2nd religiously... The saga begins... :cold:

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    got my axle tubes cut and the ends set up in the fixtures. will weld them up tomorrow.
    picked up the chunk case and shock plates from powder coating...:thumbs2:
    if I get the ends and spring plates on tomorrow I'll drop it off to be coated. also the Crown Vic. disc brake brackets. we are clocking the tube ends so the lower caliper bolt doesn't hit the leaf spring...:yup:
    and a surprise...when I got home my new axles were on the parking pad...:party3:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  3. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Oh my. If they gave it a road test, I guess the fact that it moved forward was enough? I hope there is a simple resolution.

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Common AOD issue for late shifts is too short TV cable adjustment... Early and/or slipping too long...

Of course I'm talking stock trans, if they've fiddled with governor that could be cause...

5. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I had a learning curve with my first AOD. the cable has to be set correctly or it's toast.
    We were heading to Joplin, Mo. to a Mav/Comet meet and the OD went out at the Ga/Al. line. I called my transmission guy and he said bring it to him. after about a 2.5 hr. drive I got back to town. I went by my house and dropped off the Bride with the luggage and went to his shop. he had pulled a car off of one of his lifts so I could get mine on.(this was about noon). he called me around 10:00 AM the next morning and said it was ready. we picked it up, came back by the house and loaded up again for Joplin. then the next week we left Joplin and drove to D.C. to the MCCI meet. we were gone 11 days and 3,300 miles.
    so when it's right it's right.
    here is us unpacked when We got home...

Attached Files:

6. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    got the ends and perches welded on today...:thumbs2:
    Harold is going to set up the gear tomorrow. I'll be pressing axle studs, prepping the CV disc. brake brackets for powder coating and cleaning up the welds on the housing.

7. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I cleaned more of the parts out of it from the move as well as opened up more floor space around it. Should't be much longer and I can start working on it again! Just need to build one more rack for the heavy items, rework the POS engine cradle I bought on ebay and I can put it up on stands again.:beerchug:

8. JL Mav

JL Mav I almost made it to Lake Tahoe

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick, 68 Mustang, 61 F100 unibody
    I got the original bellhousing alignment pins out finally. Put in the offset pins and now have a bellhousing that is aligned.

9. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    So this happened today... I was cruising along on the highway when a dump truck (uncovered) dropped some rock... wasn’t even in the same lane or even close to it. I was so pissed I forgot to get the tag. 446A1DAF-B3EE-4694-A5A6-F806B69E39B4.jpeg

10. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    finished the 9* and got it off for powder coating...:bouncy:

11. skipsgrabber

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 maverick grabber,1979 F-150 4x4,1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk,1942 Ford Coupe,a boat,39 JD "H",And a bunch of JD garden tractors
    Took it back to the transmission shop(use that term loosely)yesterday morning,they assured me that they would get it right... Got it back today... There's a good 3/8 gap in the tv cable between the ferrule and carb fitting o_O... It's clear to me that this would be a great place to put a transmission shop,but there's not one there... shift's all over the place... I guess I just got took... I'm not going back,to heck with their "warranty",as apparently the 3yr 36,000 mile warranty is probably good as their adjustment... I'll adjust it myself,I was doing better than they are... Never even set the pressure,the TV port is painted over and undisturbed... Guess I'll just have to eat the money it took to build this one,lot to swallow though... :banghead:

12. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I was J/K when I said 40-50 but ran across this...
    03/01/2009 7 4.2" 61ºF 61ºF 52ºF
    61 the day before and 61 the day after...52 the day of.
    02/26/1952 12 3.9" 53ºF 45ºF 48ºF
    53 the day before and 45 the day after...48 the day of.
    in the top 20 snow storms in Ga. the temp was over 40*...

13. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Wow. Drive Skip.. drive away from that shop as fast as you can! Err.. maybe just go easy till you get the TV dialed in cause it doesn't matter who made it.. easy as hell to smoke any transmission with that much slop in a TV cable.

Also easy to adjust them too.. just release the front locking tab to slack them up.. pull tight enough to just barely take up all the slack again and go another 1/32 - 1/16" for good measure. Just don't get carried away with cable preload or high idle/cruise line pressure can cause reduced gas mileage and low speed bump shifts. You can also run out of TV linkage stroke length at WOT but a good hard matting of the pedal usually slips a few cogs on the adjustment bracket before the linkage becomes damaged.

14. skipsgrabber

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Well, I got the tv cable set... I did,with an oil pressure gauge,and reading the instructions with the Lokar kit... Shifts like it’s supposed to... Now to change the leaf spring bushings...

15. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Got an estimate for some body work, and started restoring a set of headlight doors.