What did you do to your Maverick or Comet today

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ptpdub, Feb 21, 2011.

1. WiscoMav

WiscoMav Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    So far, I like it but I haven't finished bleeding the brake lines. Due to this, I haven't driven it yet. I have a '71 so I originally had drum brakes up front. This should be a huge upgrade. The kit came with everything needed and uses my factory drum brake spindles. Everything went together we'll but I have one concern with one of the fittings I got. I think it will be okay but I haven't been able to test it real well yet. This was a part of the wilwood braided line kit and was separate from the actual disc brake kit. Putting together the kit was not hard but it is a little tedious because of the way the kits are modular for a lot of different applications. There is the rotor, a rotor adapter, the spindle, and another piece that all have to be bolted together in various steps. Not a big deal but something to consider. If you already have disc brakes and want to upgrade there might be better kits or options but I'm not sure. For going right from drums to disc this was one of the best options I found without trying to round up a bunch of used parts from other places or trying to find Maverick or Granada parts. like I said so far I'm very happy with it and I'm very excited to try it but I haven't had a chance to yet.

Miguel Arzola likes this.
  2. WiscoMav

WiscoMav Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I am trying to figure out what size tires to put on them. I dropped them off at the tire shop this morning and he is going to mount up a couple different options so I can decide what I like. It's nice having a local tire place to work with. Hopefully I will get to see them tomorrow and can choose what I want to do and provide an update

3. Miguel Arzola

Miguel Arzola Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick Grabber
    Thanks for your Reply and yes I have disc,factory brakes in front but before I buy all brakes parts is good to know some other brand’s than original parts need to make this decision soon thank you

4. WiscoMav

WiscoMav Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    The kit is really nice but since you already have disc brakes, there may be cheaper upgrades than what I had to do. I was coming from 4 lug drums to 5 lug discs.

5. RustyBucket

RustyBucket Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick 302
    Let's see here >>
    Got my car back from the "mechanic" today. Told me to pick it up on friday at 5pm at closing.. so I was naturally happy to have my car over the weekend after a 4 week wait. (yes FOUR) Shop did a 4 to 5 lug converstion swap so a late model 60s mustang v8 rear end, Wilwood front discs, and mount new rims and tires. Also asked them to look into an exhaust leak and possibly replace oil sender because OIL light was ON, Got in to drive home and where do I begin ..Front disc brakes are hardly better than the drums.. it's now leaking either brake fluid, oil, or rear end fluid or a combination..still has an exhaust leak (albeit not as bad) ..the back wheels rub the wheel wells. And they set the alignment (if they even did it) at about 2 o'clock instead of 12 straight up.. oh and the OIL light is still ON.. only cost me $2000 tho <and I paid for the brakes and rearend separately> NOT happy.. to say the least.

6. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    :shocked::grumpy:

I will remember this next time I want to complain about crawling under my car, not being able to see stuff, getting out for another wrench, dumping my toolbox where I can reach all of it, and discovering I got the wrong part:dizzy:.

mojo, Krazy Comet and BBMS18 like this.
  7. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    That would truly be disappointing!

8. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    Are you going back to have a chat with them?
    2K seems like a lot when all you really got for it is a thinner wallet .

stumanchu and Krazy Comet like this.
  9. RustyBucket

RustyBucket Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick 302
    Oh yes, This story will continue Monday.. :scratchchin:

BBMS18 likes this.
  10. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Seems to me, they may be incompetent and/or just may not care about the quality of work they perform -- or both.
    What was the process selecting the particular shop? I have found, you are very lucky to find a shop that does everything the way I want it; or the way they told me it would be done.
    It's a shame you had to spend that kind of money and got a raw deal..

11. RustyBucket

RustyBucket Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick 302
    Agreed.. I have taken 2 of my company vehicles and my wifes car and the service was great.. so when the owner told me he loved working on older cars, I was excited to trust him with the work. Come to find out, he didnt personally do the work but passed it on to his 24 year old apprentice mechanic and I assume that's where things went off the rails. More details to follow I'm sure >>

12. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Sorry that this has happened to you, hopefully they will take care of the problems and the fixes are easy, could just be a leaky brake line or needing to install a proportioning valve to get front to rear bias correct apparently they never took the car for a test spin as they should have discovered these problems. I would take the car to an alignment shop once they get it closer as most mechanics are not set up to do it correctly.

This is part of the reason that most of us recommend that you be able to do the work on your car yourself as just finding a reputable mechanic to do it nearly impossible

13. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Him not personally doing the work, is no reason/excuse to get a BS job. He should have made sure the work was done, himself. The captain is responsible for what happens on the ship.

RustyBucket likes this.
  14. RustyBucket

RustyBucket Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick 302
    This exactly ^^ and im hoping since the captain was off the ship on vacay he will make things right when he gets back and sees the work is indeed shotty >>

15. Miguel Arzola

Miguel Arzola Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick Grabber
    Wow very sad to read all this ,hope you get everything straighten with the shop , well now I see how lucky some of us that we can work in our cars and make our right decisions to do o perform the job in our Mavericks And we try to doit at plus

RMiller likes this.