what do you guys think of this paint brand

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 302-72-mav, Feb 24, 2010.

1. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    i used 1 1/2 gallons of of the paint. that included jambs, trunk,under hood everything. i used my old gun that put overspray everywhere. probably wasted a half gallon. i did two coats of clear with pearl added, then 3 more without pearl. when i sprayed the clear i used my hvlp gun. then did lots of wetsanding before buffing. i did not use their clear. i already had some left from another job.

i am very pleased with the way it came out. when i bought my paint it was only 50.00 a gallon compaired to the 200.00 gallon name brand.

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I've used their single stage several times and I recommend it for a decent, do-it yourself, budget paint job. Shoots like Dupont Centari as far as I'm concerned. I did use a hardener with it.

I have not used the two stage products.

:Handshake

3. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.

Sorry, I didn't want to give the impression I was trashing you or your opinion....just thought that it should be pointed out that there are very reasonably priced, good quality paints out there, and that many of them shouldn't be rejected solely because of their price.

I also wanted to point out that many times, "Name brand" products are often over-priced, making other, new or lesser-known, less expensive, but quality products assumed "bad" because they're "cheaper"

People who settle for bargain basement prices, significantly and obviously WAY less than even average, should indeed not expect anything better than "you get what you pay for"

I will grant you that even on paint like this thread refers to, at that price, you are taking a chance, which is why discussions like this are good to spread the word of an affordable, quality product and warn off on the crap, and that, the more you pay, the less chance you're going to take.....obviously, if you pay a premium price for name-brand quality rep paint, you're not going to be taking much, if any chance or risk. Peace of mind and the security of knowing you've got the best is often worth the price.

I've got nothing against high-dollar, high quality paint......I just thank God there's still good stuff out there at a decent price for those of us that just can't budget $400 a-gallon paint or $5,000+ paint jobs for our cars.

Fortunatley, older, "Classic" cars are generally better cared for and pampered than the daily driver transportation cars and driven less in better conditions, so even cheaper quality paints jobs might hold up pretty well on cars that are mostly garaged kept, weekend drivers that get lovingly hand washed and waxed while the family rig weathers in the driveway and gets blasted with a spray nozzel at the local car wash every couple of weeks LOL

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

I have only used the enamel, but so far, it has stood up well. I painted a Dodge van for our Church, I think three years ago, and it has never sat inside. It is in the hot sun and cold wet weather year round. I used the medium metallic blue, and have not noticed any signs of fading or lifting. It sprays as good as NAPA brand paint to me. I used the sunshine yellow on the Maverick, and except for it being so transparent, am happy with it. It will get two or three more coats come spring, and then be clearcoated. It covers well, and lays down flat with very little orange peel. I used hardner in both colors. Don't know how it would be without the hardner. I would get extra reducer though. I like to reduce to 50% on the first two coats, then go with 25% on the finish coats.

5. 302-72-mav

302-72-mav Member

Vehicle:
    70 mav 302 // WRECKED 72 maverick
    what paint / kit would you recommend that's not that expensive

6. csmullin

csmullin Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick Grabber
    I have been looking at this brand as well. I was wondering if anyone here has used or seen the Metallic Black. I am looking for a really dark gray but I don't want it to be black. I was wondering if anyone knew how dark it is on the car.

7. chencho

chencho Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Proper prep work and getting the car ready before paint is 90% of a paint-job. If you do your homework and take your time with guide coats, block sanding, proper filler technique etc... the brand of paint is less of a concern.

With a lot of clear over the base coat and correct cutting, buffing and wet sanding, you can have a mirror finish for low cost.

Never judge the outcome of a paint-job on how much the products cost, it's in the work. Fact.

8. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

10 years ago maybe this statement was correct but not in todays market. Thanks to our government and voc regulations they have wiped out some of the best clear ever made in my opinion. These new laws not only forced paint companies to comply with new standards but have double them in price. Although PPG and Dupont are great products, they are not as good as they used to be before all these new laws were issued. Choosing a good quality product is even more important now. If your buying a cheap system in todays market thats just what your getting. Dont judge a clear by how well you can make a cheap product shine. If you have to save money buy a cheaper basecoast, and stick a good quality clear on it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  9. chencho

chencho Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    You kind of took it out of context... I didn't just say that and nothing else. The brand of paint is less of a concern if an individual doesn't take the necessary steps to properly prep, cut and buff the vehicle. My point was, spend all you want but if the work isn't there the outcome will suffer regardless of cost.

10 years ago? In your opinion, what was the best clear ever made that is no longer available? We use PPG at our shop and yield restoration quality finishes that have looked like new for years.

10. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

I'm not saying you cant get a show car shine. Im saying that the clears being made are not as good as they used to be. Dupont's 7600, 7900S were killer products but all phased out, PPG phased out a bunch of the good stuff too. sure 2021 is a great clear but its not like the stuff you used to be able to buy. The products today are still good, dont get me wrong, they just arent as good as they used to be, but this gos with everthing from todays engine degresers which are worthless to a/c R12 to 134a. They still work but its a notch down due to keeping the earth green.

11. chencho

chencho Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Well said. Im with you, I remember Dupont 7600.

I guess it's good and bad... We did a lot of things over many years that have proved to be wrong for the planet and no doubt keeping products "green" should help. But I agree that it does seem like with more and more interference and regulation, the quality of many automotive products have become inferior. I believe it will be an on-going issue that all enthusiasts will have to continually fight with.

12. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I just bought a gallon of 7900S 2 weeks ago. Last one my supplier had ....... :(