What lines/hoses?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by FinnMav, Aug 21, 2019.

1. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Hello again!

Can someone identify hoses / lines in pictures?

Metallic line (taped up end) was like that when I bought the car. Is it a return line for gas? It goes in the rear and "disappears" on top of fuel tank. Is it needed in carburetor system? If so, where it connects?

Second is that bundle on hoses. One of them is the hood light, that much I know. Are they AC related or something like that?

Thanks guys!

-Finn IMG_20190821_214036.jpg IMG_20190821_214513.jpg IMG_20190821_214036.jpg IMG_20190821_214513.jpg

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    The taped up metal line, is fuel vapor line, from top of gas tank that connects to fuel vapor charcoal canister (which mounts onto the inner fender, blue color) and then flex tube connects to side of air cleaner. It was an emission thing, to prevent fuel vapor from escaping into the air........this line can be used as a return line, if one wants to go to Fuel Injection, but the check valve assemble on top of gas tank must be drilled out. This was not a big deal, as I did this on my 74 when I converted it over to FI.
    I believe the rubber lines are for AC unit, think a couple of the lines connected to the AC/Heater control switch, that was mounted on the cowl, just above where the 2 AC connections come out of the firewall..........
    Actually, your first picture shows where those rubber vacuum lines connect.....
    David

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks David!

Youre right about those hoses, connection is seen on other pic :whistle: There is one hose that is bended to be closed and isnt been connected (at my time). I think it is also AC related and not necessary at this point. I might put AC working at some point but not now.

That fuel emission thing....I think Ill leave it like that for now. Maybe it can be used as a tank breather and routed to different place.

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    As stated....AC vacuum hoses. Nothing to do with the hood light.

5. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    Actually one of them is electric and is hood light supply.

6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Most likely it's the power to engage A/C compressor.

7. FinnMav

FinnMav Member

Vehicle:
    ´74 Maverick 2dr
    It makes sense though but someone has make it to power line for hood light.

Craig Selvey likes this.
  8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Like I stated....not a hood light wire. A factory hood light wire would attached directly to the battery and was powered by a mercury switch in the light socket.