what trans are you using and why?

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by junrai, Apr 30, 2013.

1. pegleg1858

pegleg1858 Member

Vehicle:
    69 1/2 maverick
    A 9 inch holding a 1000 H.P. is going to be a must see. At 1000 h.p., opt for a race only trans and rear end. Keep us posted.

2. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I can appreciate 4x4 guys, but for me if someone hasn't built something that only goes 1320...................I don't go their direction.
    Chris is @ http://www.cachassisworks.com/, their address is 8661 Younger Creek Drive in SacTown.

3. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

you may want something on this order for your rear..... (I know, its off topic from the original question,...but I already threw my useless opinion in on that)

Attached Files:

4. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt

thanks I know exactly where that street is Ive never paid any attention to whats beck there. I drive right past there atleast twice a week

thats where alot of the street racers go to race there cars go figure why.
    if it breaks just leave it in the parking lot and go back to start getting it fixed in the morning

5. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    thats cool what is that? a trade show display?
    I like that purple

6. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    That is a thing of beauty.......................$5k+ laying on the ground depending on components. From the looks of fab'd rearend it could handle 2000HP...IMHO

7. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Not sure how much fab work on customer cars he does anymore............used to do a bunch.
    Mike...........of Mike's transmission also does complete rearends............the last time I was down there to pick up my trans he had 67 Chevelle they had just installed a rearend like the one pictured above.............with a four link and very fancy swaybar setup. Just a thought when you get that far in your build.

8. Red1972Grabber

Red1972Grabber Hangtown Hot Rods-NorCal

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber, 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible, 1989 Toyota Pick-Up Truck(daily driver)
    Definitely check out Chris Alston, i've heard good things.

9. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    monday Ill load my comet on the trailer and go by chris alstons place and have him look at it and see what they suggest and see if they are willing to let me chip away at the cost like my machine shop has.

10. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    one thing on the rear end pic above. it has drag race disk brakes on it. they can not handle the heat load required for street driving. they are intended to be really light weight and to handle one high speed stop. then they need to be allowed to cool back off. street driving will cause them to get glazed, warped and covered in hot spots. its a simple thing to get vented rotors and the correct calipers and pads for this set up.

junrai, you need to be very careful with how you build this car. be clear of your intended use to every company, vender, person, you use to have this car built.

a 1000 hp small block ford with a super charger wont run on pump gas. i dont know if you have talked about fuel requirements with your engine builder but that is a major factor. you can do it with e87 fuel, race gas, or methanol.

mashori is wanting to build a 1000hp motor also. he is looking at a turbo motor that makes around 750-800hp on pump gas then adding methanol injection and maybe nitrous to achieve that 1000hp number.

also you mention that you might have to do subframe connectors. thats an understatement. you will need a real roll cage. at least a 12 point. chris alston will be able to point you in the right direction on how to build your whole chassis.

you will want to make sure every aspect of your car is able to safely deliver the performance you want. while their is an incredible amount of info available on this site you need to be in direct contact with every shop and supplier that you are going to be involved with and be clear with them with your intended use and expectations for your car.

11. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Just make sure you make an appointment before you load it up and drive over.
    I know that I drop in my machinist unexpectedly............and he always has time to talk or do something for me..................but if you've never meet the guys they before.................first impressions are the ones that last the longest and you want to make sure it's the best possible impression..................if you are looking for them to help you...........................................................IMHO

12. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    bryant I havent gave much thought to the chassis yet because I am no where near that far in the build I know that there are LOTS of things I havent gave thought to yet and MUCH MUCH more I dont know about how things are supposed to be done to accommodate this new found power. dont think Im not listening to every ones advise and pointers
    Im glad everyone here is pointing out things even if IM not that far because its all things I need to remember to stop and think about as time goes on.

now about my engine the hp is going to be achieved mostly by the super charger and I plan to run pump gas with some race fuel additive. my builder is well aware I dont plan to run strictly race fuel at whatever the cost of that stuff is. Ill double check since we havent discussed that part of the build since we were going for 500hp

ole rodder (john right?) good advise making an appointment but Ill take the car with me anyway just to get it out of the garage for a minute again. if they dont have time to look at the car that fine they dont have to right then the extra gas Ill use wont be a big deal Itll give me a n excuse to wash the car while its out.

13. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    not trying to rain on your parade here.. but it sounds like you're severely underestimating the potential pressure/octane requirements of this motor.

While there are more and more "street cars" running around with WELL more than 1,000 horse these days.. most.. if not all of them.. are running "dual fuel".. or "piggy back" systems with computers and supplemental fuel injection. One tank to cruise at light throttle angles.. another to kick in the cooler running mix for high boost situations.

One little thing goes wrong and the motor is usually hurt before you can even shut it down.

Blow thru setups are much cheaper.. but need considerably more tuning time on the front end.. and have far less margin for error than an well thought out ECM setup.

14. Bigford598

Bigford598 BigFord598

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I highly recommend Chris Alston. Even though he is in CA and I'm in NJ every frame/suspension part in my car is from him (see pic). I bought a set of blueprints from him and they were super detailed. If i had a question I just called and talked to him or one his techs, great customer service. I built the entire frame, rollcage, front and rear suspensions following his directions and using his parts.

Attached Files:

15. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT

please don't take this the wrong way.. but that's a damned nice rearend you've got there. :D

what kind of powerplant do you run out front of that beast?